nasty arse water

Landloct

Kelly Slater status
Jul 18, 2002
When I read the title of this post I thought "Is there good arse water? And what is arse water, exactly?"

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
Hey
Kinda depends exactly how nasty.
If you surf and pushthru in water infested with cholera or other viral infectious diseases that are harmful to humans, you could conceivably die after contracting the disease.
OR, you can consume some of the nasty water, change your chemical imbalance even more, and become Supergirl or CatWoman.
But if it's normal ocean water, and no signs are posted to stay out of the water, chance are good you will survive just fine by NOT pushing thru too many waves and dunking your head underwater. No swallowing, if that isn't clear.

Oct 5, 2003
LA County
interesting....

and why exactly are you not supposed to surf within 72 hours of a rain? Is that for so cal because of the disgusting smog we have here?

sjohn898

OTF status
Sep 21, 2003
it's because of sewage run-off after a heavy rain, typically a heavy rain following an extended period of dry weather. This is most harmful around run-off areas such as rivermouths, etc.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
we didn't get alot of rain but it did rain around here. I am sure the runoff must be really bad. especially with all the ashe from the fires. not good i would think.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Read and learn, when the water is brown and yucky, might not be a bad idea to take a pass on surfing that day. Also, for 72 hours after a healthy rain, it might be a good idea to take a pass on surfing that day. If the local health officials say stay out of the water it might not be a bad idea to take a pass on that day.

Otherwise, its a crap shoot. Most of the things in the water that potentially could hurt you, you can't even see.

And remember to rinse soon after a surf and drain those sinuses!

SixofSeven

OTF status
Oct 3, 2003
Puerto Rico has triple overhead breaks but a lot of them are inaccessible most of the time cause the dumbass drug-addicts throw their needles in the water, and the places where you have to let the river take you out a little have Hepatitis B water.