M2M Post race highlights

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Results: https://www.webscorer.com/race?raceid=321273

Interesting that the fastest sup riders are faster than wingers. Only a handful of wingers were faster. And curious that a couple were 40mins ahead of the pack.

Winging you have to zig and zag. SUP you can go straight DW. Wing's typically travel much further distances in GPS tracks.

Alex Aguera was on an 8M! But he popped a bladder in a fall right before the end. Paddled 40 minutes to the finish I think.

• Wow
Reactions: sh3 and ghostshaper

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Winging you have to zig and zag. SUP you can go straight DW. Wing's typically travel much further distances in GPS tracks.

Alex Aguera was on an 8M! But he popped a bladder in a fall right before the end. Paddled 40 minutes to the finish I think.
Ah, the 8m seems key....it was super light wind if he's on that. I find winging downwind very challenging in light wind, as you not only get no power from the wing, you also may have to hold it up. My guess is in 30kt+, a wing wins this, as you could pretty much just stand there going straight downwind, riding the same waves as the sups but with a wind push too. At 40kt, your body becomes a sail. Add those squirrel suit arms and legs and you'd blast downwind. :)

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
It was windy. They use the huge 8m's so that when they are at a super downwind angle there is still wind to grab. But yes, Finn Spencer and Bobo Gallagher destroyed the SUP foil guys by power dinging downwind.

The wind did die later on which explains why Zaniac finished when he did. It involved 10 minutes of sitting waiting for wind.

Reactions: juandesooka