Longer Mast Testing

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I started on the 24" mast, got the plate adapter for track and went to 27" about 6 or 8 months ago. DK just gave me a 29" to try. It has a deeper profile front to back as well, get alittle more meat on it and it's supposed to be super stiff. My current mast is a first version and has some flex to it.

I'll post up my review/feedback once I get a session or 2 on it. :thought:

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’m thinking about picking one up too.

Very interested to hear if it feels slower or more draggy. I know a couple of guys who downwind feel it is slower, but maybe not a biggie for guys like us surfing.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Clamsmasha said:
I’m thinking about picking one up too.

Very interested to hear if it feels slower or more draggy. I know a couple of guys who downwind feel it is slower, but maybe not a biggie for guys like us surfing.
Correct, it did feel alittle slower. It also took more effort to pump back out. So that is the negative.

The positive... it flew better. That extra couple inches makes a big difference. It turned harder too, felt more responsive, less delay as my other mast had some flex. When you fly it tall it felt like it carried you farther over flat spots.

So I don't know if this is one of the prototypes or how they now come, beefier. I'll ask DK and get back to you. I do know that there are many here that have different mast lengths for downwinding and surfing now. Shorter for the downwinder and longer for surf.

We have a good size swell hitting today so I'll have better feedback, yesterday was knee to waist hi.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Clamsmasha said:
Hey kaser, hows that mast working out?
I switched back to the 27" mast. Didn't like the loss of speed with the thickness. Also didn't care for the lag in turning, it throws off my timing and didn't put in the time to get used to it. This was a prototype and the production ones aren't as thick and probably don't lose the speed.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Thanks, that is food for thought. I might have to demo one just to be sure, but I def don’t want to lose much speed.