Kauai trip recommendations

wrk2srf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 18, 2003
My wife and I along with another couple are planning a trip to Kauai in Mid-February for about a week. I was hoping to get recommendations on a decent place to stay? I've never been so it will all be new to me. Anyone care to share their insights, places to stay, places not to stay, ideally the place to stay will be within walking distance to decent surf, but I'd also like to hear what else should not be missed while on the island.

Thanks !

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
Winter is North/East shore stuff, so forget Poipu area unless you hate rain, like to drive, and like small waves.
Stay at Hanalei if you can afford it, Princeville, has a couple of big destination hotels...expensive, of course, but a walk to Hanalei (right), and Middles (outer left). Within 10 minutes is whysoslow, Tunnels, Cannons (Pipe of Kaui), forget Anini/Kaliewia area unless you are already local. If the swell at N Shore is tiny (too small to surf even for you), you can get some NE swells that hit WestCoast around the Kapaa area, beachbreaks.
If you KNOW a W swell is coming, you can try the S Shore Air Base spots, but likely Hanalei to Napali will get something.
Hike end of the road Napali Coast, bring water, Tevas, swim and waterproof light clothing. Flat conditions preferred, good diving.
Anini Beach teachs beginner winsurf lessons, protected bay about shoulder deep.
Heli rides over Napali Coast might cost $70, but everyone says it's worth it before hiking in.
Yak ventures up Hanalei River..kinda boring, but if you've never done it, and serious sea yak ventures out past Haiku....
You know jyourass is park was filmed there.
Good tidereefs between Hanalei and Anini.
I'm not a waterfall fan, as they get crowded touristy early.
Can't miss fun, check Poipu (shopping) but it faces S.

wrk2srf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 18, 2003
Thanks for the Info LeeD, I was looking at Hanalei for a place to stay, seems like a safe bet.

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2003
Staying in Hanalei is the ticket. You can find cheaper places by searching the internet (try vrbo.com). I was there in December and scored some good waves... February is not great for weather but the surf should be firing. Aloha.

wrk2srf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 18, 2003
Thanks for the info jim - we've got reservations at the resort in Hanalei. Seemed like a safe bet. That vrbo.com is a great site, maybe next time when I have a better lay of the land.

We leave on Tuesday, very stoked about the trip, haven't been in water warmer than the high 50's in years.

Aloha!