is there any surf in the bahamas

Jun 19, 2004
i won a free cruise and wanted to know if i should bring my board, im going to freeport on the grand bahama island. so if anyone knows some close breaks it would be much appriciated

Jun 1, 2004
Spoke to the East Coast field editor for SURFER and he said it's a gamble, but worth bring the board if there isn't a large extra cost. Best bet for surf is from Dec. to March (NE swell) also if a hurricane doesn't get too close, Sept. and Oct. can get local wind/hurricane swell.

Nov 7, 2004
I too am going to this area this winter. Does anyone know if you can rent surfboards (or buy one then later sell it) anywhere in Freeport???????????

diroberts

Miki Dora status
Apr 14, 2003
ProHoVille
I'm going to a bachelor party in the Grand Bahamas in February and was toying with bringing a board as well. My guess is that the Bahamas isn't a typical surf destination so you'll need to do all the exploring on your own; hire a boat driver and go cruising for surf. That sense of adventurre adds to the experience. Check out this map I found.

Then, check out the NOAA model and you'll see that during November to March NorthEasterly's come off the East Coast of the U.S. and push down swells towards the Bahamas. (As of this post, a swell should be hitting the Bahamas around 11/10 or so based on the NOAA graph).