I Need some Pacific Waves

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I am getting a little nuts lately. I have this burning desire to surf the Pacific again. It's been since April, and I don't plan on needing to be on the west coast anytime soon. BUT...<P>I do plan on being in Las Vegas from Jan 31 til Feb 5.<P>So I am trying to see if it makes sense for me to get to the coast while I'm close anyway. Here are some of my restrictions:<P><B>Time:</B> Being that I'm already going to be leaving my wife outnumbered by 3 to 1 in the kids per adult ratio, for 6 days already, <B>I only will extend my stay by one day.</B><P><B>Money:</B> Being that I have limitted disposable income for a family of 5, I don't want to use too much of it on myself. <B>I would like to limit this day to a total cost of $200.00.</B><P>I am thinking of renting a car, and driving to LA in the night, staying at a cheap motel for the night, surfing the day, and driving back to Vegas at night to catch a flight back to NY.<P>Is this even doable? Mapquest says 5.5 hours drive. Is this realistic?<P>I was thinking of fyling from vegas to LA, and then directly from LA to NY, but I think that may be too expensive.<P>The 200 bucks must include any air travel expenses incurred that would be above the normal cost of round trip NY-Vegas, one night stay, car rental, 1 day food expenses, board rental.<P>Whatdya think?<BR>Doable on this budget?<BR>Doable with the time constraint?<P>General thoughts?<BR>Keep in mind, I really really want to surf the Pacific again soon.<P>If anyone wants to share some information, just not so publicly, please email me at pray4surf76@hotmail.com.<P>Many thanks.<P>cowabunga<BR>rg<p>[This message has been edited by Random Guy (edited 12-16-2002).]

Captainn

Michael Peterson status
Jan 10, 2002
It's doable and realistic RG. I know people that have driven to Vegas on a moments notice and party it up that night. I've never been to Vegas so I don't know how far the drive really is, but if you drive up at night and have the entire day to surf after a good night sleep, then I'd do it. That's just like driving either to Santa Cruz on the 1, or and hour into Mex (from SB), sleeping, then surfing in the morning. Do it man! <P>You can find a hotel in L.A. for around $40 (maybe less), a couple bucks for tacos and burritos. I have no clue about the car rental cost though. As for the board, anyone that says "cowabunga" regularly should be able to find someone to lend him a board

Waldo

Duke status
Jan 24, 2002
Shangri-La
Go for it RG.<BR>Depending on weather, traffic, and how much of a lead foot you are, Vegas to L.A. area beaches can be done in under 5 hours. You can also fly it for $39 each way, if you want to cut down on time. Check Southwest or Jet Blue airlines. Jet Blue flies into Long Beach airport, 20 minutes from the Huntington Pier. Pretty sure Southwest goes into LAX and Orange County airports (Just don't fly into Burbank or especially Ontario--you'll still have a healthy drive)<P>Beach hotels are cheaper in winter, so that'll help -- expect $40 and up.<P>Keep me posted on where you want to surf and what you ride (long, short, or ??). I might be able to help you out with a board for a day, maybe a wetsuit too. And there are dozens of shops that rent stuff too.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
hey thanks. I'm checkin gout my options, and the only thing that kinda sux is that to stay in budget, I'll be driving back to Vegas after a day of surf. That might not be fun.<P>The board rental can slow me down too, since most shops don't open until 9:00. I may like to borrow a board, thanks for the offer Waldo. <P>And it kinda goes without saying that it would be great to surf with any of you from the area. <P>Right now its all pipe dreams, but I think I can pull this off.<P>Anyone need a ride to vegas Feb 6? Just to keep me awake.<P>Suggestions?<P>cowabunga<BR>rg

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Come on, can't one of you give the Random Guy a place to crash? And a board to ride, something between a 7'0 and a 7'10 (is that right, RG?). <P>Help out a fellow surfer who lives on the wrong coast. He'll reward us with another entertaining daily diary.

dmc2

Michael Peterson status
Jun 4, 2002
Los Angeles
It sounds do-able to me. I've never driven to Vegas myself, but it's probably five hours or even less. I'm in LA, I've got an 8'0" and a 9'2" that I could loan you, and probably a spare bed to crash on also. Let me know what you're plans are as it gets closer. I say do it.

Dec 3, 2002
CA
If you rent a car and drive, you 'll have to drive it back, or suffer the drop off fee. The drive to vegas isn't bad during a weeknight. The worst is friday and saturday night. The drive from vegas should be done during the off peak hours. It's about 350 miles to LA. Also to consider is the fact that some rental agencies don't like their cars leaving the state of origin, w/out you notifying them. That may affect the rate. Also, get all the insurance...unless you insurance company covers you and the rental already, check it out. I wish you a great trip and great waves...wherever you end up. PEACE

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
this is looking very very positive. Jet Blue may be my answer to lots of issues.<P>abalone, thanks for begging for me. I probably wouldn't take anyone up on crashing at their place, but DMC2 thanks for the probable offer. that's real good of you.<P>I'm concentrating on the Huntington Beach area, and getting real psyched. <P>Anyone up for a surf in a month and a half?<P>appreciate all the help.<BR>cowabunga<BR>rg

Stefan

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 13, 2002
Venice, CA, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Random Guy:<BR><B><BR>Anyone up for a surf in a month and a half?<P>rg</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Let us know, we'll all be there!