How much are you foiling vs. surfing

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Summer I was 80+ percent foiling. Winter will probably reverse that. Although i did foil strand yesterday.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Hey Grendal

I may see you out there. I am just starting out, got 10 or so sessions down, so staying away from everyone

I still surf when it is above waist, but was wondering if i mix it up too much will it slow down my learning curve?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm not so sure about that pyzel foil board. I only saw it briefly at boardroom so I could be wrong. It looked like sort of like a normal board as far as the rails and such. My WCFC and all the boards I'm seeing online are way different. It's almost like the rails are backwards with the pinch at the top of the rail instead of the bottom.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Havoc,start out there now. Waters are not as crowded, good time to be learning.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I've been 99.999999% foil since Sept of 2017. I rode a longboard for about 30 minutes as a buddy wanted to try my board.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
keoki said:
Hey Grendal

I may see you out there. I am just starting out, got 10 or so sessions down, so staying away from everyone

I still surf when it is above waist, but was wondering if i mix it up too much will it slow down my learning curve?
I've been at it for a few months and it's really difficult to break the good surfing habits you've developed: weight near the back of the board, lean back to slow down, weight centered. All of which seem reversed riding the foil, so for me any time I start riding on instinct everything goes wrong. I'm starting to develop foil habits and I swap between surfing and foiling pretty well.

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Like all of you I’m hooked too. So many great designs and smart people coming out with great foils and foil boards.
The board design itself has quickly minimised into the smallest planing volume, which is more for show than go.
The foils and masts are all much the same. The shorter masts don’t allow for much pumping so they’ll stay the same.
The foil design itself is where advances will happen. If you get on a foil that works in proper tubing waves, something that can work in average beach breaks up to Pipe or Chopes, then you’ll see more than hopping around on smallish waves.
It’s a great derivataion of surfing that I’ll never abandon because it’s so diverse.

Aug 30, 2004
Seignosse, France
I have now about 50 sessions. In the learning phases 2 years ago, I was foiling as much as possible, but now I only foil when I cannot enjoy regular SUP surfing because of the crowds, wind, tide...

This means I did not foil once last winter. Foiling is great however in summer to beat the crowds (going to peaks with nobody out) and make the most of wind swells. And in 2018 I foiled 8 times, so less than once a month compared to my 2/3 weekly SUP sessions.

I guess this is because I also Windsurfed, and foiling is reminding me a lot of windsurfing (the speed, danger, reading non-breaking waves, straps, ...), so I have a lot of "déjà vu" feeling on a foil. Once the basic technical challenge is overcome (SUP foiling is easier to learn then surf foiling) I did not had a specific motivation. At nearly 60, I do have the stamina to attempt pumping back to the peak. So, if the conditions are decent, I just SUP/surf. Foiling is just a part of my quiver now, for specific conditions, like my longboard or my small wave fish.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
joining the club. couldn't resist on a black friday deal.

also started making myself one, but figured I should figure out how to ride one first

(I know, my bay is a disaster)

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Not sure if this is directed at me or Grendel. He's on an infinity tombstone, I think. I'm going to hack my 5'5 mini Simmons and turn it into a 4'6 or something.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
My buddy and some other pictures I've seen online just take an old longboard and cut the tail off. Glass your tracks into what used to be the middle of the board. Not sure how successful those are, but it's done.