How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
casa_mugrienta said:
Are both legs used to generate speed?

If not seems like it would pull your body way out of alignment.
I'm getting both legs working almost equal. I'm not walking crooked at all.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I think it’s pretty balanced, maybe more than surfing.

One thing, as far as the whole core/back alignment thing goes....paddling a very short corky board with a big floating pendulum attached to the bottom is an epic workout. I feel better for it.

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
I remember when bump skiing was all the rage. The constant pistoning of the knees/legs led to a lot of cripples inside of ten years. They're pretty much all limping around on titanium knees now. All that Huntington Hop/foil thing to drive the boards over flats is going to take a toll.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
It's kind of like doing jumping jacks at the end of every wave. Leg burners for sure. Not sure it's the same kind of impact as skiing bumps.

One guy out at 1st right now. I thought about going but didn't get enough work done. Now I'm jealous. He's getting some good pumps back out to sea.

liquidmedium

OTF status
Jan 4, 2005
moku loa
Moby_Dick said:
I remember when bump skiing was all the rage. The constant pistoning of the knees/legs led to a lot of cripples inside of ten years. They're pretty much all limping around on titanium knees now. All that Huntington Hop/foil thing to drive the boards over flats is going to take a toll.
If you’re talking about ‘moguls’ as the bump skiing you’re describing and comparing that in any way to the leg pumping from foiling, then you’re dumb.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
liquidmedium said:
Moby_Dick said:
If you’re talking about ‘moguls’ as the bump skiing you’re describing and comparing that in any way to the leg pumping from foiling, then you’re dumb.
Lol, straight to the point!

Pretty much zero impact on knees from the pump. It’s more like hanging from a bar and doing quick leg raises than anything.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Clamsmasha said:
I think it’s pretty balanced, maybe more than surfing.

One thing, as far as the whole core/back alignment thing goes....paddling a very short corky board with a big floating pendulum attached to the bottom is an epic workout. I feel better for it.
Agreed, the fringe benefits of pursuing this wacky sport are a noticeable improvement in overall fitness. The obsessive 3-4+ hour sessions help with this, as do the exceptionally long paddle backs. So many more waves, so much more distance covered, than a typical surf session.

I haven't noticed any leg issues in surf/sup foiling, though I have in kite foiling, legs cramp up if stay in same stance too long.

A related health issue though for those doing the sup foil thing ... excessive paddling may lead to elbow tendonitis. Kiting, computer mousing, chainsawing all contribute to mine, but paddling is the worst. I've recently switched to a much lighter paddle and I think that has helped.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
. It’s more like hanging from a bar and doing quick leg raises than anything.

[/quote]

That’s the best explanation of how to pump than anything else I’ve read. Surfed tiny waves today just to work on pumping. Had a few good runs. Even tried beach starts when the tide got to low. That’s hard.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar

I have had a few shots at dock/rock starts and that just made feel stupid. I really want it though, it will open up downwinders for me.