Honeymoon surf travel suggestions

Dec 28, 2004
Has anyone ever gone to a great place to surf that would double as a great honeymoon location? Looking to get away for surf myself but need more than that to offer for the Mrs. or else were going to end up in a place like Bermuda. Bermuda which is an awsome island, but has waves like a lake. Any romantic surf travel spots that anyone knows of? Preferably with a spa or water clear enough to see your feet? Thats the only way the wife to be will be seen in the water. Maybe if the water is 75 degrees and clear to the bottom, she might even try to learn surfing. Is there such a place?

diroberts

Miki Dora status
Apr 14, 2003
ProHoVille
Depends on where you are departing from.

LAX -
Consider Tahiti, Costa Rica, Panama, Hawaii, even Bali.

NYC/DC/Miami -
Puerto Rico, Jamaica (see Liquid's posts), Barbados, Costa Rica, and Panama.

Dec 29, 2004
Norway/QLD, Oz
Fiji is without a doubt romatic and exotic - the water is as clear as you'll get, and has good waves. On the downside it's a bit pricey, but hey, you only get married once -

Dec 28, 2004
Will be heading out the 1st week of Oct. I have done a bit of research on Fiji but I would have to get my arse to LAX to begin that mission. Is there anything comparitable in the Atlantic?
Thanks for all you help!

Clamhead

Nep status
Nov 11, 2002
West Indian Ocean
I have a feeling you are looking for warm climes, but at that time of year, coming from the East Coast there would be only one place I would think of: Europe. Early winter swells, the water is still relatively warm, the crowds of summer are gone, lots to do if the surf isn't good, and (since it is after all a honeymoon) romantic. West Ireland, SW France, or North Spain - you couldn't go wrong.

diroberts

Miki Dora status
Apr 14, 2003
ProHoVille
Will be heading out the 1st week of Oct. I have done a bit of research on Fiji but I would have to get my arse to LAX to begin that mission. Is there anything comparitable in the Atlantic?
Thanks for all you help!
Considering your time frame, your options are pretty limited to score consistent, *quality* surf. There is NOTHING in the Atlantic that will be comparable to Fiji.

Spain & France (Surfline.com Travel) is an option that time of year but keep in mind that you'll need a 3/2 Fullsuit; it definitely isn't trunkable around then. France can go OFF big time that time of year; need proof? See the pic below of A.I. going psycho during the WCT 2004 France contest. Pic is from 10/3/2004:

You could go to the South Coast of Jamaica; it isn't going to be all-time but still fun and - more importantly - warm. Maybe Puerto Rico? Or check out the information on Barbados at Surfline.com's Travel Section. What about going to Hawaii? Some of the North Shore might start to flare up by then (beginning of the season).

Aug 31, 2004
ventura
I researched all this myself and from my research fiji sounds sweet except for one thing ...hollow,fast reef waves.I couldn't find any info that indicated any mellow breaks for longboards or fat out of shape shortboarders like myself. to me fiji seems to be for hawaiian surf types that are comfortable dropping in on fast ledgy reefs with 1 foot of water covering.i also hoped my new bride would learn to surf so it seemed a bit hard core. I'd reccomend costa rica around tamarindo or jaco as there are luxuries for the wifey and still good waves some are points and beachbreaks.

seabird

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 20, 2004
for nice weather all-year around in europe, you have the canary islands (islas canarias). you can find some of the best waves of europe over there, together with a springtime climate. for surfing, the better known islands are tenerife, lanzarote and fuerteventura. you'll find the typical island stuff in there - palmtrees, long-walk white sand beaches, transparent waters. you also have different kinds of landspace, from luxury green (north tenerife) to desert-like (lanzarote). tenerife has the highest mountain of spain (el teide - actually an old volcano). also has all the kinds of hotels for all the pockets and all the turistical infrastructures for non-surfing.
other islands in the atlantic are the archipelago of azores and the one of madeira, both from portugal. they also have some quality waves, and quite less crowd. in madeira i dont know, but in azores the weather is ok all year around but a little bit rainny. on the other hand, surf is good and the landscape is wonderful.

Dec 28, 2004
Thank you all for such great feedback! The more digging I do the more expensive and unrealistic island surf travel is getting. After all we are planning on leaving only a day or two after flipping the $15,000 wedding bill. Now being 23 years old, how are we ever going to justify another $5,000 for a honeymoon/surf trip. I think we are just going to head to So Cal, I have family there and can pull a week off in Encinitas for Less than a grand.

Anyone from around the North County area? Maybe we can paddle out together. Anyone know if good Baja surf is in drivable distance from San Diego?

Thanks again
EC

Jan 9, 2005
Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I'm in the same boat as you (These things are too damn expensive!). My fiance and I will be wed in Novemeber and she insists that we take a honeymoon someplace where there are waves, which is fine with me. The challenge of course is finding a destination that offers surf, afordable, and fits into the honeymoon realm of vacations.

Like yourself, I to will be departing from the east coast. Costa Rica is a possibility, and maybe somewhere like Tortola. I never had thought of Europe, but there are some very competitive airfares there.

The hunt continues! I wish you luck too!