Got Wood?

Jun 16, 2022
OC, United States
Was checking out the Hess website ... some very interesting shapes .... curious as to how weight compares to other wood boards. I'm guessing that the "full wood needs a wave with some juice" is at least partly related to the overweight.
I had similar experiences with my 5'8" Hess Traveler in full wood... that is until today I swapped the quads I had in it with a twin + trailer. Felt like a completely different board. Previously felt like I was constantly dragging an anchor, but today the board felt fast and light.

Surfed some head high+ HB cliffs today and it carried speed really well, even through soft sections. Cutbacks felt really buttery. I didn't really do anything super critical, but excited to see what I can eventually manage on it.

Only downside is my back foot slipped off the deck bottom turning once. Not sure if I can bring myself to put a traction pad on this. T_T

Reactions: bluengreen

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Borrowed this demo. Was hanging out in a storage shed at Surman surfboards. From NZ apparently. Feels nice and light. Looks like Paulownia and I assume eps blank inside with no fibreglass by the feel of it. Some Volan flex twins much like the Webbers should work well. They recommend upright twins like MR's rather than keels.
Website doesn't go into much build info.
IMG_1817.jpgIMG_1819.jpgIMG_1820.jpgIMG_1822.JPG

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
i happened to come across this .. some nice lookin' shapes .... spiked my curiousity ....

https://www.instagram.com/bosinysurf/
https://www.bosinysurf.com

I've never ridden a wooden board ... my first impression is that they would feel heavy but on the Bosinysurf website they make a point of saying their boards are equal weight to a similar PU board. The Whippa Snappa model looks like a winner.
“Huh, on the erBB, surprising but hey…*click* Ohhh, bos-iny-surf. I need to read slower”

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Been loving my chambered balsa Varuna.

a different feel, but I love the extra momentum on the paddle in.
@freeride76 hey Steve, been looking for your posts about the Varunas you rode. Can't find them. Did you ride a Space Hawk? Got my eye on a used one which has a tad less foam than I usually ride but I assume the chambered balsa build means sizing down is no drama?