Glass Question

TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
Pavement, CA USA
www.surfysurfy.net
I had a board glassed with full carbon cloth once. It was really trippy to look at and made me a bit dizzy when I rode a wave. It didn't have much flex, almost none really. My friends and I tried everything we could to break it since it was a prototype. it would not break! Finally after months of heavy abuse it got a slight buckle and actually surfed better since then it flexed a bit more. It was around for years and years and everybody rode it until finally it just dissapeared (stolen or borrowed?).

Those carbon strips are pricey, we still have some. People started getting stingier and stingier. First it was both sides, then just the deck. I believe to prevent breakage it needs to be on both sides of the board. Ultimatly the price killed the trend.

S-cloth is more affordable and easier to laminate. If you don't have much experience glassing I would go with the S-glass. But, if you are curious about carbon fiber and have already glassed a few boards then sometimes it's good to scratch your itch.

blakestah

Phil Edwards status
Sep 10, 2002
Carbon Fiber is about twice as strong as S-glass, when lammed with epoxy.

S-glass is a slightly different glass formulation, slightly more expensive and slightly stronger, but otherwide very similar to E-glass (normal glass).

tom@daumtooling

Michael Peterson status
Jan 10, 2002
San Clemente
Visit site
chip,
I worked with cabon fiber in the boat yard. Carbon fiber tape that TFAD is refering to is not woven. It's unidirectional. The entire board was probably woven roving. Carbon fiber is stiff and does not like to bend as easily as say s-glass. It also is more difficult to wet out. But, if you take your time with a slow kick batch of epoxy the stuff has great directional stability. Unfortunately, it has poor compressability. It works great in tension areas. But, has impact resistance similar to glass cloth of comparable weight. The tail of your board is one area where you want flex. And, yes it is pricey. But, I believe prior to the War on Terror it was getting less expensive. Now, the demmand for defense related stuff is driving the price back up.

great lakes

OTF status
Jan 25, 2004
Lake Ontario
Well, sicne I am primarily concerned with compression and ding resistance. S-Glass is the way to go.
=o)
Thanks alot for the generous answers guys!

LESider

Miki Dora status
Nov 25, 2003
LowerEastSide NYC
Chipfish its not a Hanel fish that Rasta rides its a Rich Pavel there is a photo of his quiver in a Trans World Surf, its concave on the deck and bottom! It also shows a aluminum vacume bagged board and another with grass matting its all pretty trippy.

SurfCityNJ

Nep status
Jan 30, 2004
Trenton, NJ
I love carbon-fiber, best material made. My roller hockey skates and stick are made out of it. I'm workin on gettin some FCS carbons, n i'd love to have a car made of full carbon fiber someday. As for surfboards the thing about it is its color, i've heard of it being used before but its black, so wax becomes a problem in the sun. The weight of it is nuts though.
Peace,
Kyle