Footstraps or No Footstraps

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
So I've been anti footstraps up until today. DK let me borrow one of his old flatter laying strap that wouldn't hurt my chest. It's been in the van for a week and today finally went out with it...

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Problem I was having without strap, I'd land the air and the board would sink just below surface and foil wouldn't re-engage.

Today I was able to get the foil engaged by lifting board with strap once I landed.

Maybe with the strap I can learn to pull up board without strap using a different technique? We'll see.
Airs are nuts though, I've got more pics coming once the photog gets to sending this weekend. Easier to grab rail and be in control. Cant wait for bigger surf to push higher. :dancing:

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Wow crazy! How do landings feel on the foil since it plunges into the water on landing? Does it feel like a lot of stress on the components?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
grendel95 said:
Wow crazy! How do landings feel on the foil since it plunges into the water on landing? Does it feel like a lot of stress on the components?
yes and yes.

before padding out today noticed my carbon plate adapter cracked.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Strap update...

One of my strap base sticky mounts came off this morning and had to ride one in without strap to replace. Wow, what a difference now. I feel naked without the strap, less connected, less in control.

My carves now with strap, I'm really pushing and leaning more than before. Wingtips starting to breach, only getting better.

Dec 5, 2018
Nice photos !

I used the front strap and it felt easier for pumpoint back out et to carve intothe up coming wave a you can lean harder. But waht I dont like is the take off, fiting the foot inside is so irratating sometimes.

I haven't tried to do airs, I'm afraid to get hurt, but those photos make me want to try !

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
gregfoil said:
Nice photos !

I used the front strap and it felt easier for pumpoint back out et to carve intothe up coming wave a you can lean harder. But waht I dont like is the take off, fiting the foot inside is so irratating sometimes.

I haven't tried to do airs, I'm afraid to get hurt, but those photos make me want to try !
what strap are you using? I've tried a couple different ones and the thicker foamy kind were harder to get in. the one i have in the pics i slide into like it's not even there.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Also had a breakthrough problem solved yesterday down at the beach. One of the benefits of being around old windsurf/kite guys here on Maui, there are alot of tinker'ers that make their own gear.

I was talking with GP (old windsurfer) about my strap trials and errors. He takes me over to his car, pulls out his recently made strap, and I was stocked. Exactly what I was trying to do.

He cut a 3 inch wide strip of SUP deckpad by about 12 inches long, put a 2 inch strip of nylon webbing down the middle, and took another 12 x 3 strip of deckpad to sandwich the nylon webbing. Punched holes for screws and done. So f'ing simple I was like :grin: :eek: :D

I'll post up pics of the strap when I make this week.

slopokecr

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 28, 2007
If you use a soldering iron or hot nail to poke the holes, the holes (and strap) will have better integrity.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
slopokecr said:
If you use a soldering iron or hot nail to poke the holes, the holes (and strap) will have better integrity.
I have one of those...thanks for the tip :jam_on: