east coast small wave board

Oct 23, 2003
nj
im 6'2" 150 lbs , yes a lanky one , i ride a 6'3 roundtail Byrne as my everyday baord, (18 5/8, and 2 1/4)prob best board i've had in my 4 years of surfing.way lookin for a new board for thoose chest high and under days, ady suggetsion wanted and thankful for.

noreastsurf

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 14, 2002
Central New Jersey
since you're 6'2" 150lbs, id say if you want a fish go no shorter than 6'2" and you wont have to beef it up as much because of your weight. a 6'3" should be fine for the smaller days, but not with those dims. you need something a bit wider and a tad thicker, say 6'2"x 19 1/4"x 2 3/8" c.i. flyer. but since youve already got a 6'3" it wouldnt be that big of a difference. its not good to ride something THAT short if you're 6'2". personally i think a 5'6" is way too short for a guy thats 6'2", but thats just my opinion. leeD knows his stuff so id say go with his advice and talk to a shaper, and see what they say. or just wait for another reply on the BB.

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
Hey
Thanks for the consideration, NES.
I'm 5'10", 155, and have ridden many twins and singles between 5'2 and 5'6" with no problems.
I have a superwide stance also, but my favorite small wave boards are under mid 5' sizing.
Fish's, and the older boards I rode, all have widepoints well ahead of center, allowing a wider stance with no problems. If you measure tip of tail to widepoint, you will get about the same measurement as a 6'3" tri, so balance is not a problem.
My buds who work at really big surfshops all ride fish's for small waves (up to arms reach overhead...easy paddles, no wind, glass conditions).
The are very similar to the mid 5' twin fins of the older days, and can surf anything from 2' to as big as your cajones can handle.

jeff wells

OTF status
Mar 2, 2003
sea
Visit site
Well, I'd get a fish or a disc. In the 5'8" x 20" x 2 5/8" to 5'11" x 20-20.5 x 2 5/8". Twin with a small trailer. Very light single to dual, or FLAT, depending on your tastes and what conditions you plan on riding it in.

For the record, I'm 6', 185 lbs, and I just made myself a 5'9" x 20" x 2 5/8" disc with mild single concave to rolled vee. Small wave machine only. Epoxy, extruded foam, futures with twins and a small trailer.

I wouldn't get a wrongboard, unless it's really weak!

[ November 21, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: jeff wells ]

noreastsurf

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 14, 2002
Central New Jersey
LeeD and JW are right. as long as you go nice and wide, you can go much shorter as well. just be careful, cause if you're gonna be riding this in the winter (5/4 with boots and gloves add about 20+lbs in some cases) you might want to go a bit longer than 5'6"-5'8". personally ive never owned a fish, so i basically dont know much about them. i usually stick to a small wave thruster like a flyer, and ride a longboard on the gutless knee high days.