DOW drops 600pts

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Worst week in 2yrs, will Trump take credit for it? When will it be time to blame Obama?

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
stu dog said:
where's Fox News reporting this :shrug:
It's the lead story on their business page.

Not like this wasn't expected. Nothing goes straight up. I raised a few hundred grand in cash shortly after the end of the year in anticipation. But yeah, right now, the Dow is down a little over 2%. Hopefully it doesn't get bad.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
GWS said:
stu dog said:

Not like this wasn't expected. Nothing goes straight up. I raised a few hundred grand in cash shortly after the end of the year in anticipation. But yeah, right now, the Dow is down a little over 2%. Hopefully it doesn't get bad.
not on their main Fox News twitter feed like every Dow increase

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
GWS said:
stu dog said:

It sounds like you are well positioned to jump into Crypto/altcoin/speculation/manipulation land!

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
lol!

I don't have the intestinal fortitude for that. My earning years are largely behind me. Preserve the capital.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Are the Dow companies intrinsically more valuable today than 5 years ago? Do they have new products, new patents, new infrastructure to justify?

Or is it a manipulated bubble, set for a controlled crash, where the big boys take their profits first, and the little guy can't find a buyer when they need to sell.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
stu dog said:
GWS said:
stu dog said:

not on their main Fox News twitter feed like every Dow increase
I don't twitter. What is this twitter thing?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I've been waiting for this drop since last week.

The market been on a scary uphill ride since the first of the year.

Over 7% in less than a month!! That's more in one month, than the market rose during the entire years of 2015 and 2016 combined prior to Nov 8, 2016 (election day).

So, this could be the long awaited pull-back from a frothy non-stop uphill ride. No climb like this lasts forever. Dow was up 45% since Nov. 8, 2016 to Jan 25, 2018. Not quite 15 months of near non-stop market rise (other than a somewhat flat March/May). And that was on top of a already near-toppy (though long flat) market condition as it was in late 2016.

As we all know, markets were predicted to crash and burn following Nov. 9, 2016, just like Hillary was suppose to have the election BIG. So much for the MSM talking heads.

If the DOW closes around 25,500 today, we'll have lost everything gained since.......

Jan. 11, 2018.

3 WHOLE WEEKS!!!!!

Making YTD gains only a measly 3% so far. :bawling:

We really needed a week like this pretty bad. It was getting out of hand.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Surfdog said:
I've been waiting for this drop since last week.

The market been on a scary uphill ride since the first of the year.

Over 7% in less than a month!! That's more in one month, than the market rose during the entire years of 2015 and 2016 combined prior to Nov 8, 2016 (election day).

So, this could be the long awaited pull-back from a frothy non-stop uphill ride. No climb like this lasts forever. Dow was up 45% since Nov. 8, 2016 to Jan 25, 2018. Not quite 15 months of near non-stop market rise (other than a somewhat flat March/May). And that was on top of a already near-toppy (though long flat) market condition as it was in late 2016.

As we all know, markets were predicted to crash and burn following Nov. 9, 2016, just like Hillary was suppose to have the election BIG. So much for the MSM talking heads.

If the DOW closes around 25,500 today, we'll have lost everything gained since.......

Jan. 11, 2018.

3 WHOLE WEEKS!!!!!

Making YTD gains only a measly 3% so far. :bawling:

We really needed a week like this pretty bad. It was getting out of hand.
Why do you get so wrapped up in what MSM talking heads are predicting?

And why do you think the correction is done?

Could it be that the market sees that the Nunes' memo is a nothing burger and that Trump's presidency is really in trouble? That this big bombshell was Trump's last gasp? I don't know any more than you do, but I'm not a buyer of stocks on Monday.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
GWS said:
lol!

I don't have the intentional fortitude for that. My earning years are largely behind me. Preserve the capital.
If you're 55, you probably got 20 more years.

Plenty of time to recover, provided you like Top Ramen and off-brand soda, and have no mortgage.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
the janitor said:
GWS said:
stu dog said:

It sounds like you are well positioned to jump into Crypto/altcoin/speculation/manipulation land!
bitcoin is doing awesome!

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
The more I think about it, the more this seems to be the market sensing the end of Trump's presidency. The memo was his last hoorah and it fell flat.

He'll fire Rosenstein soon, and then Wray, and then all hell will break loose.

President Pence better get ready.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Mr Doof said:
GWS said:
lol!

I don't have the intentional fortitude for that. My earning years are largely behind me. Preserve the capital.

Plenty of time to recover, provided you like Top Ramen and off-brand soda, and have no mortgage.
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgl-VRdXr7I[/video]

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Mr Doof said:
GWS said:
lol!

Plenty of time to recover, provided you like Hamburger Helper beef stroganoff and off-brand purps, and have no van payment.
Fixed :beer: