Dose of reality

bandini

Michael Peterson status
Jan 22, 2002
SF
Visit site
Got an email from a high-school surfer buddy of mine (surf related) who's a fighter pilot on an aircraft carrier. Here's his email below. Catch a wave for him if you can.
-----------
Yoooooo Brian,

Greetings from the aircraft carrier ------.  We are quickly pressing to somewhere warm and where combat is now a certainty.   This was after a four day respite in Waikiki.  I paddled out at "Pops" on the south shore on a 9.0, and humbly tried to catch a few lefts amongst the locals.  It was great and made me wish I was out in the line up with you all.  

I just got back from a 3.5 hour night SSC (surface search and control) and recovery tanker hop.  Strong starboard winds were pulling alot of guys into "the ace" (the one wire- that's bad) or they were overreacting to the winds and boltering (missing all the wires) when landing.   A couple of F-18s were low state (very low on fuel) so we had to hawk them (fly a race track pattern and time it such that I'm at their two o clock position if they
bolter and tank 'em if necessary).  Not so hard in the day, but at night with T-storm clouds all around made it a bit of a challenge.   I was a little beat prior to the night recovery, but my pass (landing) wasn't too bad. Thank God for a moon and a discernable horizon.  The boat is now on a mad dash for bad guy country.

nep

Duke status
Dec 6, 2002
I'm going to give you instant gut level reaction:

THAT'S REALLY LIVING. WOW! COOL LITTLE STORY.

[ March 18, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: nep ]

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
bandini,
i'd be really interested to read excerpts from emails from your buddy. it helps to keep war at the individual level.
cowabunga
rg

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I sent an email to my cousin in kuwait city yesterday. My mom has been exchanging emails with him the last few weeks. I will post what he says to share with you all.

keep all our boys in your thoughts. He sent a couple pictures, I will have to post them sometime soon.

peace

Reality Check

Phil Edwards status
Feb 7, 2002
Nor Cal
It does not matter whether you support this conflict or not: Support our Troops!!

These brave men and women are stepping in to the line of fire and we will certainly see a lot of casualties on both sides.

Great posting Bandini!!

Spray92109

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
San Diego, CA, USA
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nep:
<strong>I'm going to give you instant gut level reaction:

THAT'S REALLY LIVING. WOW! COOL LITTLE STORY.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was my exact reaction. Too much Hemingway?

bandini

Michael Peterson status
Jan 22, 2002
SF
Visit site
Yeah, definitely a world apart from me sitting at my computer in SF, bitching about my finances, etc.

His Dad was a fighter pilot, and being one was all that my friend ever talked about. He knew it, and went for it.

Now he's off to bad-guy country. I will keep you updated, hopefully he'll be able to keep contact.

Actually, Waldo, my name is Yooooooo, Brian is my last name.

nep

Duke status
Dec 6, 2002
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Spray92109:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nep:
<strong>I'm going to give you instant gut level reaction:

THAT'S REALLY LIVING. WOW! COOL LITTLE STORY.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was my exact reaction. Too much Hemingway?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dunno.

It times when you might die that you feel most alive.

Probably too much surfing, not Hem.

Spray92109

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
San Diego, CA, USA
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nep:
<strong>I dunno.

It times when you might die that you feel most alive.

Probably too much surfing, not Hem.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Should I wish I'd never known what it meant to be truly alive, just so I wouldn't feel so bloody bored much of the time?