Costa Rica Info Please

Apr 13, 2004
I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend in Feb 2005. Was gonna head down to Todos Santos (near Cabo) again, but I'm getting tired of that place. Thinking of CR. I spent a summer there in '94 (Playa Negra, Witch's, Domincal, Playa Hermosa, MA, etc) but haven't been back since. I imagine it's changed a lot, so I have a few ??s for folks who've been there more recently.

1) Has the crowd totally spoiled the place (I've surfed all over the world, S. Africa, Indo, Mex, South Pacific, Europe, etc. so I'm kind of spoiled)

2) I'll be renting a car, and can afford to pay about $50/night for accommodation. Nightlife not important, and kind of a minus. Girlfriend is super chill, very happy kicking it on the beach or hiking in rainforest. Where should we spend most of our time? (We've got 10 days, don't want to be driving around everywhere the whole time) Thinking of Playa Negra/Tamarindo area. Any good places to stay out there that are quiet, away from town?

3) Who has the best rental car deals for CR?

4) Any other advice/thoughts?

Thanks,

Lost0rz

Nep status
Jul 2, 2003
??
ive heard The Surfer's Guide to Costa Rica by Mike Parise
is supposed to be VERY good, as well as the travel reports by surfermag.
hope that helps.

diroberts

Miki Dora status
Apr 14, 2003
ProHoVille
I would do a search on the web and look up the info. There is a TON of info on Costa Rica; yeah - you could get some crowds. No need for a gun in my book. Bring the shortboard (up to 6'6") and a fish. If you are a goofyfooter you might want to consider hitting Pavones.

Nov 24, 2003
Central Cali
I went to Jaco and Playa Hermosa this summer. I could never really find a good place to eat. I found myself eating the sames things over and over again. The town of Jaco was very poor and dirty. However the waves at Playa Hermosa were great. And DON'T drink the tap water. You will be sick as a dog.

Lost0rz

Nep status
Jul 2, 2003
??
Go to the Central Pacific....... lots of good surf there(GOOD beach break.. so u dont have to worry about the reef).

Especially playa hermosa... i havent been yet but ive been doing my research and thats definately the place im gonna go. Lots of juicy barrells there.
Some of the hotels have other stuff besides surfing which would be good for ur gf.. but they also cost more. But 50dollars is probly fine. If u didnt care about nice hotel and other stuff u can get them for like 20 dollars.

Pavones ONLY works on a GOOD SOUTH SWELL.. and its at the bottom of CR on the PACIFIC COAST. So dont go to Pavones unless there is a SOUTH SWELL. Its a away from a lot of stuff. THere isnt even phone service down there...(ud need a cell phone). And its real hot too. BUT if there is a swell, DEFINATELY GO! One of the longest lefts in the world.

oh and about the crowds.. some of the beaches/breaks are REAL big... so it spreads the ppl out. So you may not have too much of a problem with them.