Booties?

Kookie McKookelson

Phil Edwards status
Mar 24, 2002
san fransurfco
K I know the water is way warm right now, but I just got some booties for later on this winter. I didnt use them last year and I was fine, except for when I went to churches. Now temperature tolerance aside, what are your opinions regarding booties and grip? I've heard some people say they diminish your traction(sp?) but I've heard others say booties help.<P>I havent worn mine yet cause the water is unusually warm right now but, what are your thoughts?

Jul 22, 2002
San Diego, CA
Definitely increase the traction. When the water warmed up and I went out without them for the first time this spring, I found I had been surfing with no wax for three months! Initially they feel a little weird but they do keep ya warm, increase traction, and make the walk over the reef much better.<P>I like to wear mine with my shorty.

Kookie McKookelson

Phil Edwards status
Mar 24, 2002
san fransurfco
I dont have a spring suit, and I'd never had booties before so I havent done this but, I dont understand what the big deal is about spring suit and booties. What if you have to walk on a reef?

Who's Your Daddy

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
Carlsbad, California
Visit site
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kookie McKookelson:<BR><B>I dont understand what the big deal is about spring suit and booties. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's like masturbating with a condom on.<P>-Out!<P>

Aug 22, 2002
Prince Edward Island
Kookie, thats my dogs name. Now you know something us frozen ocean boyz have known for millions of years!! Cold water wax, good rough bottom booties, and you can drive that bottom turn like nevah befoe. Yo.<P>

Stinkeye

Miki Dora status
Jan 12, 2002
Gone and haven't looked back..
Visit site
I fuggin hate booties so much.. I started wearing them when I moved up North a few years ago and it took so long to get used to them. My past 3 sessions I ditched the booties and I found that I am surfing much better without them. I pop up much easier without that rubber toe dragging on my board and I can shift my feet around much easier.. I'm done with the booties for good..

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
keep them clean and dry. thanks for the reminder to turn them inside out. mine reek<BR>cowabunga<BR>rg

shrapnel

OTF status
Jul 11, 2002
east of the dateline for now
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunnybunny:<BR><B><I>IT AIN'T YA BOOTIE, IT'S YA BEAUTY</I><BR>
<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>LMAO @ Honeybunny<P>In regards to booties they definitely have there place. I know some of you hate them cause u feel they get in the way or weigh too much but consider this...<P>Was out surfing G-Land last June with a buddy. I was wearing my Oneil low-cut traction Rocks Sox due to the fact that the reef at G can be super sharp should you have the unfortunate occurence of coming into contact with it (yes even your footsies). <P>These younger guys from Oceanside were out there one day. They were both pretty good surfers. I spoke w/one of them in depth. They had just returned from a boat trip in the Ments and they were enjoying a couple of days at the fairest left on the planet. I noticed this guys foot had a hole in it the size of Texas...and obviously he was not wearing any reef protection and likely had not worn reef rubbers in the Ments. The hole in his foot looked ridiculouly gross and painful and I was puzzled why he would let it get so knarly and still not wear reef rubbers. I asked him and he said that he didn't like how they "feel." I questioned him no more and figured he was nuts cause his foot looked like bad nightmare primed for staph infection. Even if he was lucky enough to heal without a bad infect, the pain he likely endured during non-surfing time would make a high pain thresholder cringe. I'll bet he had many a hot sleepless night. By the looks of his foot I hate to think of the misery.<P>I have gotten used to the feel and traction of low-cut boots. They have saved my arse in many situations when it comes to sharp coral reef. For anyone who's been to G you know the walk can be 500 yards over sharp coral b4 you get to jumping on your board. <BR>Also, I was surfing Uluwatu one time when my mate thought I was nutty for wearing boots cause the tide was kinda high and the paddle out had no reef walk. Well, while riding this powereful & good size hollow left & I ate it and was driven into the reef feet first. My foot slammed the reef really hard. I had a huge bruise on my foot and my boot was ripped by the impact but that was it. Had I been bare footed my foot likely would have been shredded carrot
<P>So, there are many reasons for bootie, especially in severe cold or significant sharpness of reef...I like the warmth & grip when the water drops below 58 and the protection when the sharp coral reef presents itself a challenge.<P>So, when it comes to the bootie call, I like safe over sorry
<P>

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I have been wearing my booties quite a bit lately, water has gotten alittle colder and mostly because i have been surfing spots with alot of rocks to deal with. when i surf a beach break i normally don't wear them. i really dont feel a difference any more. maybe because i haven't gotten used to wearing them. as far as grip, they work fine to me. although i have put but bootie on the nose of my board while waiting and seems to grip pretty well without wax.<P>finally I just want to say that personally, i would rather surf barefoot than with a bootie. if there is rocks i just wear them even when its warmer. my feet end up with a bunch of cuts if i don't wear them. then it takes forever for the cuts to heal.<P>just my opinion...<P>surfdad