***Board Dimension Question***

HooButtaCrew

OTF status
Oct 30, 2003
Manhattan Beezy, CA
i currently ride a 7'2 x 22 x 3 merrick mbb. im 6'3 250 lbs. i was at a local shop today and they had a 6'9 x 20 1/2 x 2 7/8 arakawa shape, really nice. i was wondering if that would be to small for me? also its a fish style tail, how will that perform in small mush, as well as a little bigger stuff like up to 5 feet. please help.

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
Hey HBC
For sure, you'd lose lots of foam, lots of float, and some paddling speeds and endurance.
How's your board doing? Do you paddle it well and catch lots of waves? Is it too easy, and you need higher performance? Is it stable for you, in small and bigger surf?
You big guy. I had a roomie who weighed 275, and he totally sunk his G&S 8'6" x 23.5 x 3.5" thick custom funboard.
I'm sure you surf better than him, but ask yourself those questions first, before you eyes spend the money in your wallet.

HooButtaCrew

OTF status
Oct 30, 2003
Manhattan Beezy, CA
ok, that makes alot of sense. i should just wait until my board is lacking, then get a new one. ive had the mbb for about 6 months, and it rides well i catch a good amount of waves but i guess i could take more time and just get really used to it. i was just kinda looking to graduate to a smaller board, how much weight would be good to lose in order to ride a board around that size ( the 6'9 ). ive just been pushing trying to get better before the move to cali. thanks for the advice.

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
Hey HBC
I don't think you have to lose any weight, if you can paddle decently, catch lots of waves, and stand up and ride like you want to.
I'm sure you'd have to problems riding a small wave designed board, like a 6'4" x 22.5 x 3" fish shape, with or without the swallow tail.
Notice the width.

pickles

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2003
Ventura, CA
Whats up HBC? I think you could ride that 6'9" no problem. You're on Oahu right? So you have no problem finding waves with some power. I think that HIC sounds about perfect for you actually. And you know what I think of the MBB ... being a little shorter you might make some later drops that you'd have otherwise stuck nose. I bet you'll be able to go shorter (but not a lot narrower or thinner), but working your way down a step at a time is usually a good call.

HooButtaCrew

OTF status
Oct 30, 2003
Manhattan Beezy, CA
so i should try to keep the width and thickness the same as they are now? maybe i should custom order a board to make sure its a good size. i didnt really think an 1/8 of an inch in thickness made that much difference, i learn something new everyday. i think i might try a 6'9 x 21 x 3 , how do you think that would be?

pickles

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2003
Ventura, CA
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by HooButtaCrew:
<strong>so i should try to keep the width and thickness the same as they are now? maybe i should custom order a board to make sure its a good size. i didnt really think an 1/8 of an inch in thickness made that much difference, i learn something new everyday. i think i might try a 6'9 x 21 x 3 , how do you think that would be?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nah ... just go grab that 6'9" and rip it. 1/8" matters very little at the size you are looking at.