Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
there was a SUP hydrofoil in the lineup this weekend. The rider seemed pretty aware of everyone around him but what happens when a novice or kook gets their hands on one? A hydrofoil and potentially decapitate someone. Maybe limit hydrofoils to their own area like the dogpatch at Sano?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Its a fad.

It will die just like SUP is

I was vehemently anti-SUP but by and large they are like what, 5% of the surfing population at this point in any wave you actually want to surf?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
need to get the vessel definition changed - sup's are vessels everywhere but the surf zone. change that and we ban sup's and I'm sure hydrofoils will fall in that category.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
rts265 said:
need to get the vessel definition changed - sup's are vessels everywhere but the surf zone. change that and we ban sup's and I'm sure hydrofoils will fall in that category.
yes please

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Topeslide said:
there was a SUP hydrofoil in the lineup this weekend. The rider seemed pretty aware of everyone around him but what happens when a novice or kook gets their hands on one? A hydrofoil and potentially decapitate someone. Maybe limit hydrofoils to their own area like the dogpatch at Sano?
I completely agree. Foiling around surfers and SUPs is annoying. Most are in the way, sitting there like a deer caught in headlights, or scrape for the shoulder thinking they're getting out of the way, when they're just getting IN the way. Most surfers can't comprehend the speed and distance you can travel on the foil. I've caught and passed SUPs that drop in 100 yards down the line thinking I'd never catch them.

I think they need to dedicate foil zones that are good areas for foiling, speaking mainly about the mainland. SanO, Bolsa Chica, etc.. Here on Maui, the foil spots are those that typically nobody surfs anyway. Or if they do it's typically on a big SUP.

I know of plenty spots nobody regularly surfs that are perfect for foil. One is between CDM and Laguna. :dancing:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
It a Very exciting new activity .

Puena Point - lots of Sups and Foil Boards + lesser skilled surfers seeking easier surf .

Great surfing spot before both .

There will be collisions , windsurfers at backyards became Very cocky coming close to surfers at high speed with massive vessels .They were sure they were the cutting edge of the future :drowning:

+ side to foiling is its so good on those rolling swell spots that can't be surfed .

The claim they won't be in the surf should be dropped just like the 10 items or less sign at the store ;-)

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Amazing. Dipshits come up with something as dangerous as SUP and then somehow manage to make something more dangerous

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've not got a problem with foils. It actually looks like fun in the open ocean or unbroken swell.

But to me it doesn't look fun to do around people or in waves that would be fun to surf.

indodreams

Nep status
Mar 25, 2011
Foils honestly scare me, you could honestly die or get half your face ripped off by those things.

By all means go surf some waves/swell others can't surf but yes they should be banned at proper waves.

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
+1 agreed

seen kai lenny and few others foiling hookipa in maui. its been awhile but still....