ATM cards in Bali

jedavey

OTF status
Dec 26, 2004
Perth
Anyone know if you can use an Australian ATM card in Bali? I've got an ANZ card and it worked just fine in NZ, of course. And my US ATM card works just fine here in Oz. I've heard mixed things, including that you can only get about $60 at a time. Anyone have any personal experience?

adikgede

OTF status
Sep 1, 2004
GMT +8
That depends on what networks your bank belongs to. If your card has a VISA, STAR, or PLUS logo (among many others) just find an ATM with matching logos. Bank Lppo, BCA, and Permata are a good bet. You can get 1,250,000 from many ATMs, but finding one that dispenses 2,500,000 might be harder.

Mar 19, 2004
Laguna
On Bali, especially in the Kuta/Legian area, you'll have no problem finding an ATM, it seems there is one every five meters.

They usually have some kind of a limit on how much you can take out. The limits are about 1 or 1.5 million RP. (US $105-$170). I found one in Kuta that let me do 2 million.

The only problem is that sometimes they spit out 100,000 rupia bills, which sucks because you need small bills to bargain for taxis, clothes, sunscreen etc. You'll end up losing money because people can't make change for 100,000 RP.

There are shitloads of banks in the Kuta area, I took out cash advances for 5 million. Five Mil lasted me about a month and a half. My bank charged me US $5 each time I used an ATM, so instead of using ATMs, I did large cash advances.

When are you going, how long will you stay? I need to go back soon. Lucky.

jedavey

OTF status
Dec 26, 2004
Perth
Thanks for the info.

I finish up here Aug.1st and am heading to Bali from Aug 5 - 29. Absolutely cannot wait!

adikgede

OTF status
Sep 1, 2004
GMT +8
The only problem is that sometimes they spit out 100,000 rupia bills, which sucks because you need small bills to bargain for taxis, clothes, sunscreen etc. You'll end up losing money because people can't make change for 100,000 RP.
You may notice that the denominations that the machines dispense are often displayed on the front of the machine on a blue or red tag about the size of a fat index finger. [50,000] or [100,000]. Personally I prefer to get the 100,000IDR notes as a wallet full of 50,000 can be a bit thick, more than twice as thick as twice as many 100,000 notes because they are cloth rather than plastic. In order to to insure you have enough 10s and 20s for street food, ojeks, and taxis be sure to stop at the several circle Ks or Mini Markets when ever you are in town and buy small items with big notes. They rarely complain.

FYI Indonesians would expect an ojek driver or a taksi to go out make change for you, while you waited at their ride, same for food carts and tents (unless they are alone), peddlers and open air shops. Really the only place where you shouldn't expect someone to make change for your large bills is in very remote areas and on shared transport like bemos and buses. Anywhere else a vendor will be eager to scurry around and dig up some change, although you might end up with some tatty bills that no one wants to take. They might initially protest, but this is only to see if you have a casual attitude about money.

On the flip side its best if you do have the small bills because sometimes shop keepers will charge a commission when making change for walking cigarette machines and food cart sellers. Cutting into thier already slim profit margin (unless they overcharged you).