2 for 1 tips?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
So I'm making most of my takeoffs, riding down the line and even making a few cutbacks, but I'm horrible at pumping back out.

Any tips?

Dec 5, 2018
What foil do you use ? I'm asking this because I've been trying differents foil lately and some don't work the same way especially for pumping back out.

But there are some tips :

- start pumping back out with speed , control and make sure you have enought power and cardio to handle the pumping back out. If you start pumping back out after a really long ride it is gonna be hard to make it.
Make sure to have a good timing, if the next wave is too far back it is gonna be more difficult.

- remember pumping is not pushing on your board with your legs !
It is all about lighten up and feel what the foil is doing. The foil will lift with speed, once you start loosing speed the foil will go down so you have to unweight yourself to help the foil lift again before the board touch the water. Once you go up use your weight (and front foot pressure) to keep as long as possible the foil leveled. Then do it again and again. Rythme is important.

- you can use your upper body and your arms (project both arms up and down) to help lighten up but make sure you have good coordination.

- you can also move a little bit forward your back foot.

Hopfully this will help.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’m about where you’re at Grendel, I just changed my setup to Gofoil and first sesh on the Iwa I pumped back out twice.

I was previously on wings in the 12-1300 cm2 range and not having much luck. The Iwa is much bigger. And has pretty vicious lift. Strangely I didn’t feel the M200 was as easy to pump...like it’s trimmed down or something.

As above, I found it better if I arced of th back of the wave with speed and made a clean exit...then it’s pretty much the same as pumping on a fat section, just with less assistance.

Dec 5, 2018
Clamsmasha said:
I’m about where you’re at Grendel, I just changed my setup to Gofoil and first sesh on the Iwa I pumped back out twice.

I was previously on wings in the 12-1300 cm2 range and not having much luck. The Iwa is much bigger. And has pretty vicious lift. Strangely I didn’t feel the M200 was as easy to pump...like it’s trimmed down or something.

As above, I found it better if I arced of th back of the wave with speed and made a clean exit...then it’s pretty much the same as pumping on a fat section, just with less assistance.
Yep I've got the Gofoil IWA and it is really easy to pump back out on it but harder to handle when waves are over 2ft...
I tried the Lift 200 and the MFC L, those two are super good, less lift than IWA but faster and easier to turn and eaiser to handle steeper take off. To pump back out it is a little harder but still good, it is a different technique, you need to get used to it.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
gregfoil said:
But there are some tips :
Listen to this guy. I've foiled with him at Malibu and even posted a clip of me pumping straight on a wave where I thought I was doing good. He rode the white water on my same wave. Then the next wave. Then the wave after that too. His 3 for 1's at Malibu are pretty sick.

I'm on the Naish Large which I think you are too. Yesterday I surfed 1-2 foot beachbreak and got 3 separate 2 for 1's, a new record for me. I'm on the 70cm mast now. Trying to keep the foil super high and doing quick pumps then keeping the board level helps. Kicking out frontside helps. Going parallel with the shore and not back out to sea helps the most. I'm not sure if that's in my head or not. But I can go parallel to the beach pretty well. Maybe it's because I think I'm in shallower water so I never let the foil get to deep. When I'm going out to sea I think I try to do long strokes and I end up just getting the board to close to the water.

Stamina seems to be a big part of it too. Sure my technique was bad previously, but being able to have the cardio conditioning to actually pump out to the next wave is big.

The Naish large is 1236cm. The GoFoil Iwa is 1548cm. Huge difference there. There's a chart on this page for more info on that. http://www.mackiteboarding.com/news/kitefoiling-best-2019-hydrofoils-for-you-/

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Tempo is also a key element. Slow it down, and you're not pushing down the whole downstroke. You're gliding down and at the bottom pushing to lift the foil shallow again. By slowing down, you are saving energy so you can go longer. Try this on a few exits, not trying to pump all the way out ,just gliding down and lifting. You'll start to click and link this all the way out.

Exit speed is critical as well. You wanna setup your exit with your wing shallow giving your first glide down pump time to setup your balance. If you try pumping when you're not balanced, you'll waste energy trying to correct through your pumping.

Dec 5, 2018
The board has a lot to do. Yesterday I foiled with my ''old'' 4'6 Takuma that I used to love (a little bit heavy but a very good board) and I was so desapointed to use it. I was having a hard time going fast and pumping back out. I'm so used to my custom Brawner 4'3 ultra light. Anyway just to tell you that a light/stiff board makes it easier for pumping back out for sure.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I watched the foil surfing featured in that clip live on Sunday morning. It almost bums you out how good he is out there. Taking off in what amounts to the shorebreak and pumping out for two rides, then pumping out to the outside to wait for the set.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I'm kinda liking the Lift foils for some reason. That kids pump out looked like he carried alot of speed with little effort.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Steamroller said:

little guys can pretty much ride whatever the hell they want and fly all over the place...keep your GoFoil....do some 6 for ones!....mile long runs....kika$$
Hooo, Vland? Looke like fairground zones....epic!!

Dec 5, 2018
Connecting multiple waves is super fun but the best is really to carve into the wave without any pumping, this is another level, the timing, the speed, the anticipation have to be perfect to make is smooth.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Pumping break through today it felt like. 1-2 foot beach break North of me. It was basically just a peak where you could maybe do one cutback and then it faded out. I got 3 separate loop 2 for 1's. Before my 2 for 1's were always down the line to the next peak. Hadn't been able to connect it in a circle where I get back to the takeoff spot and catch the next wave on the same circle motion.

One of them was the first wave of a set and I kicked out, gained speed and had to bank off the white water to spin it back around on the bigger 2nd wave.

It really helped that there was some backwash I think. You could feel after the first couple pumps when there was a surge that would help push you back out to the next wave. I made a few long pumps without the backwash too though.

Still on the 4'6" Takuma Concept. I don't have a tail kick on my 4'8" WCFC. I'm going to glue one on today and ride that board next I think. I've always been afraid of my foot falling off the back so maybe I was to afraid to move my back foot far enough back. I feel my back foot locking into the tail kick of the Takuma or sometimes landing partially on top of the kick. It gives good feedback to know where I am.

Naish 70 cm mast, Large wing.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Hdip said:
Pumping break through today it felt like. 1-2 foot beach break North of me. It was basically just a peak where you could maybe do one cutback and then it faded out. I got 3 separate loop 2 for 1's. Before my 2 for 1's were always down the line to the next peak. Hadn't been able to connect it in a circle where I get back to the takeoff spot and catch the next wave on the same circle motion.

One of them was the first wave of a set and I kicked out, gained speed and had to bank off the white water to spin it back around on the bigger 2nd wave.

It really helped that there was some backwash I think. You could feel after the first couple pumps when there was a surge that would help push you back out to the next wave. I made a few long pumps without the backwash too though.

Still on the 4'6" Takuma Concept. I don't have a tail kick on my 4'8" WCFC. I'm going to glue one on today and ride that board next I think. I've always been afraid of my foot falling off the back so maybe I was to afraid to move my back foot far enough back. I feel my back foot locking into the tail kick of the Takuma or sometimes landing partially on top of the kick. It gives good feedback to know where I am.

Naish 70 cm mast, Large wing.
Nice!

Backwash is a nice added bonus. A couple spots here get it on higher tides. You can see it coming and make a U turn right before it gets to you and can literally almost stand still without pumping on the way back out. :applause2: