Search results

1. J

Shimming

KDMaui has the best explanation on tuning and shimming foils, https://kdfoils.myshopify.com/blogs/foil-info
  2. J

Best foil for beginners, 2022 version?

If you want more back foot pressure while cruising down the line, then adjust the tail wing angle for less negative angle (positive shim). Check out KDMaui's shopify page. He has the best info for tuning your foil. https://kdfoils.myshopify.com/blogs/foil-info/hydrofoil-balance-tuning
  3. J

Gath Helmet fit

I don't remember what size I wear, but I followed the sizing guide and the online order fit properly. I've had the Gath helmet with and without the visor. The visor messed up my depth perception and I couldn't tell the location of lip. I prefer the no visor version. I wore the Gath helmet...
  4. J

This guy is about the same size (a bit younger) and he rips on the Takuma 1210 on East Coast waves. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CboCxTnDGZ1/?utm_medium=copy_link As long as you can avoid the sharp tips, the Takuma 1210 would be a great foil to learn and progress on.
  5. J

Mast length

I've used 28" (71cm) and 32" (81cm) Lift masts with LIft 120HA. The 32" mast makes taking off on bigger waves easier. I didn't have any problems with the 32" mast when riding weak, WH waves. I haven't been able to tell any difference in my pump performance between the two masts. However, I...
  6. J

*** Official Tudor Nazare Tow Surfing Championship Thread ***

Why is Kai Lenny out of the contest?
  7. J

I have both the Takuma Kujira 980 and 1210. I rounded off the tips on the 980, but the 1210 is completely stock. So I had my friends try out the 980. The sharp edges on the Kujira scare them and they still think the 980 has too much initial lift, thus I recommended the Lift Foils. I thought...
  8. J

Based on the recommendations from the Progression Project, I bought a Takuma 1300 LOL as my first foil back in Nov. 2020. I matched that up with a KT 4'4" foilboard at 34L. At 140 lb. the 1300 LOL was a horrible choice. Even with the mast set all the way at the back of the boxes, there was...
  9. J

I've gone to the Dark Side

Listen to the ProgressionProject podcast. He has a recent episode for beginners. In summary: * If at all possible, learn behind a boat or jet ski before hitting the surf. I got 4 sessions in behind a jet ski during my first month of foiling and it definitely helped. * Once you're up on...
  10. J

Leash for foil

I've tried the FCS Freedom leash and the Kaohi Double Coil Foil leash. With FCS, I got the occasional tangle around the rear wing. With the Kaohi leash, no tangles with the rear wing, but it got caught under my foot a lot more often than the FCS leash. I have switched to the Dakine Floating...
  11. J

Best foil for you.

LOL! I live in Oside and less than 5% of my foil sessions were in Oside. Waves are usually too dumpy for foiling. The session in the video was my first successful foil session in Oside. I pretty much got skunked in the previous sessions.
  12. J

Best foil for you.

I've been foiling for just over 6 months. My main wing since Feb has been the Takuma Kujira 980. About 3 weeks ago, I got the Kujira 1210. Since then, I've been switching off between the 980 and 1210. I bought the 1210 because I had only gotten one double dip with the 980. I wanted to see...
  13. J

*** Official Shark Thread ***

There has been a 5' shark hanging around Dog Patch at San O for the past three weeks. Then last night a 10' shark cruised through Dog Patch, sending 4 foilers to the beach. The 10 footer swam underneath one the foilers as he waited for a wave. Since 2000, 6 of 12 shark attacks in San Diego...
  14. J

Sharks and foilers

San O has been a shark hot spot since before foilers came onto the scene, https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-no-shark-folo-two-20170501-story.html Maybe the San O shark got bored with foilers and has moved on to harass the shortboarders? With all the stories about...
  15. J

Sharks and foilers

I lurk over at the SeaBreeze foil forum and they had the story of a SUP foiler doing a downwinder getting killed by tiger shark. The link is French, but I was able to use Google translate to translate the story. Someone in the report is assuming the humming of the foil attracted the shark...
  16. J

Dock Starts

Last Saturday afternoon, I checked out Baby Beach in Dana Point. • Tried beach starts, I couldn't get enough speed/lift to get on the board. It does look like a good setup for beach starts for somebody younger/more athletic than me. • People were fishing on the pier next to the public...
  17. J

Dock Starts

Thanks for the info. I'll post in the thread if I go on Sunday. Hopefully nobody will be fishing off the dock. I'm sure they will get mighty pissed if we start jumping off the dock while they are trying to fish. My backup plan if somebody is fishing off the public dock will be the SUP rental...
  18. J

Dock Starts

Sounds good. I'll check out Baby Beach on Saturday or Sunday after surfing at Trestles.
  19. J

Dock Starts

I never even heard of Baby Beach until now. The next time I'm in that area, I'll have to try some dock starts from the SUP rental dock (after closing time) if there is no public access dock.