YOLO ALERTS

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
That’s actually a great idea.
my worst color was the tomo custom x-wing from Oz during covid. Everything was by email (which was fine) and boar turned out just what I hoped, except I said baby blue / sky blue and included pics of other boars… it came outta the shipping box Smurf blue.
View attachment 178907
View attachment 178908
Smurf blue is surprisingly similar to what I got when I asked for “glacier blue”:

1714159332976.png

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Deets please

btw, i’m at 3 fish (2x mustache height, 1x +2” height).
So a little context... I told him that the SD Fish he made me (5'6"x21x2.56) works really well. I've been surfing that board a ton. We got on the topic of longer fish / longer rails. He said he would be stoked to try to make me a longer one. I didn't really define anything, just make it longer but not too long. I let him run with it and choose what he thought was right. He ended up making it at 6'6" x 21 x 2.5. Tail a bit more pulled in, spiral vee instead of the deep single to help it turn, and placed the fins the same. Have rode it 4 or 5 times now from 2' to a little overhead. Lots of float in it, definitely more cruisy than my shorter xtr moonstone, while being much more of a wave hog/early entry type board. I'm still figuring out my feet positioning at that length to turn it well, but its been fun so far. I surfed one day that looked like longboard territory when I showed up with soft lumpy high tide sets and it was paddling into everything.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
So a little context... I told him that the SD Fish he made me (5'6"x21x2.56) works really well. I've been surfing that board a ton. We got on the topic of longer fish / longer rails. He said he would be stoked to try to make me a longer one. I didn't really define anything, just make it longer but not too long. I let him run with it and choose what he thought was right. He ended up making it at 6'6" x 21 x 2.5. Tail a bit more pulled in, spiral vee instead of the deep single to help it turn, and placed the fins the same. Have rode it 4 or 5 times now from 2' to a little overhead. Lots of float in it, definitely more cruisy than my shorter xtr moonstone, while being much more of a wave hog/early entry type board. I'm still figuring out my feet positioning at that length to turn it well, but its been fun so far. I surfed one day that looked like longboard territory when I showed up with soft lumpy high tide sets and it was paddling into everything.
And that’s what I was afrauf of. Was entertaining the cc long phish around the same size of my moonie (6’3) but for more bottom end. this sounds like a viable path, too.

so no, 4 fish is not too many, nor is 5. Lol

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Im surprised he went 21 wide. Most of the longer fish I see that I hear positives on are in the 20 1/2 range, Take out width for length. I do like that 6.6 length on those.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Yeh, it definitely was interesting showing up and not knowing what the dims were. First time trying that approach, glad it worked out. I could see him making a shorter/more performance version for me at some point. Right now my 6'2"x 20 xtr moonie covers that well. He mentioned something interesting also that he shapes a similar outline at times for another popular shaper.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Yeh, it definitely was interesting showing up and not knowing what the dims were. First time trying that approach, glad it worked out. I could see him making a shorter/more performance version for me at some point. Right now my 6'2"x 20 xtr moonie covers that well. He mentioned something interesting also that he shapes a similar outline at times for another popular shaper.
Not knowing dims is true yolo old school trust. I like it. I’ve had a bunch of boards from Ryan. I am a huge advocate. Pretty sure I know what ur talking about on the other shaper as well.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Highly recommend going on a drunk emotionally unhinged yolo custom binge...all came within a week of each other

I need to stay off the pi$$ for my bank account's sake

Hi DK, I know you're lurking
Looks like you navigate pretty well under the influence. Those look fun

Jan 3, 2024
Looks like you navigate pretty well under the influence. Those look fun
Drunk me is a normal functioning person not riddled with this and that...and he also has excellent taste in boards

Planning for maiden voyage on the kneelo tonight im stocked

Reactions: npsp

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Highly recommend going on a drunk emotionally unhinged yolo custom binge...all came within a week of each other

I need to stay off the pi$$ for my bank account's sake

Hi DK, I know you're lurking
Nice! Whats the first one?

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Added a few more from the twinzer wizard. This is the farthest from a true YOLO, since Dane’s queue is a 12-16 month wait. But it’s only 6-8wks once he gets to your name to discuss your order. I picked up 4 more from him this week to add to the 3 I got from him last year
FAE8DAC7-48A8-4148-8736-7A37BDFE3D16.jpegA76E5B84-A811-48E7-A910-7FA1327813E8.jpeg
8’0/7’4/6’11/6’8/6’4/5’8/5’3BDFF262B-D9E2-4CC8-A19D-3BE606930745.jpeg