What are college dorks protesting about?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
are there any genuine protests ?
Mostly not for this issue

It's a distraction from the actual problems happening in the US. Anyone who cares at all about this conflict or the Ukraine conflict is an idiot. The only response should be hatred and protesting our government for helping fund any of this.That's the only valid complaint these specific protests have. But it's funny the same people protesting that are in favor of giving money to Ukraine

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

It's a distraction from the actual problems happening in the US. Anyone who cares at all about this conflict or the Ukraine conflict is an idiot. The only response should be hatred and protesting our government for helping fund any of this.That's the only valid complaint these specific protests have. But it's funny the same people protesting that are in favor of giving money to Ukraine
Anyone who cares at all about this conflict or the Ukraine conflict is an idiot.
So true wisdom is indifference?

The only response should be hatred and protesting our government for helping fund any of this
I think that this is, quite literally, the point.
Students are pushing their universities (a system within their sphere of influence. Some government subsidized, some not) to divest from any and all investments that support Israeli interests.

That's the only valid complaint these specific protests have.
Multiple concepts can be held at one time, but yeah, clarity of messaging is important.

it's funny the same people protesting that are in favor of giving money to Ukraine
I'm sure some people feel this way, but it is your own generality and projection that you use to discount the organizing efforts of these people . You don't need to agree on all issues to align on one.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
So true wisdom is indifference?
Yes

I think that this is, quite literally, the point.
Students are pushing their universities (a system within their sphere of influence. Some government subsidized, some not) to divest from any and all investments that support Israeli interests.
Rarely are the protests this nuanced, they're usually whining about genocide and racism instead. It's easier to capture the dummies with empathy related arguments

I'm sure some people feel this way, but it is your own generality and projection that you use to discount the organizing efforts of these people . You don't need to agree on all issues to align on one.
Nuance and contradiction can be used on many issues, but there are certain issues where there is a line in the sand and contradiction makes you a hypocrite

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Yes

Rarely are the protests this nuanced, they're usually whining about genocide and racism instead. It's easier to capture the dummies with empathy related arguments

Nuance and contradiction can be used on many issues, but there are certain issues where there is a line in the sand and contradiction makes you a hypocrite
The message has been pretty clear. The reporting has been suspect and biased, but the call for divestment has been consistent.

I think the "line in the sand" might be the mass graves that have been reported...

Reactions: afoaf

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
The message has been pretty clear. The reporting has been suspect and biased, but the call for divestment has been consistent.

I think the "line in the sand" might be the mass graves that have been reported...
Doesn't matter

You either support foreign investment in war, or you don't

The result is always mass graves. I guess the perception of whether or not the people in the mass graves deserve it or not is how these ghouls support their hypocrisy

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Doesn't matter

You either support foreign investment in war, or you don't

The result is always mass graves. I guess the perception of whether or not the people in the mass graves deserve it or not is how these ghouls support their hypocrisy

I'm not attempting to defend anything about Ukraine. I have a feeling, nobody at these protests is either.
But I don't know that it is as simple as you claim. Or more pointedly, one does not necessitate the other to be vocalized.

Outrage over what's happening in one area, with full support of one's government, is deservedly being criticized.

Your response implies one needs some sort of purity and totality that is not, in fact, necessary.
One can say "this is wrong", while not focusing on all the wrongs. `

Reactions: afoaf

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I'm not attempting to defend anything about Ukraine. I have a feeling, nobody at these protests are either.
But I don't know that it is as simple as you claim. Or more pointedly, one does not necessitate the other to be vocalized.

Outrage over what's happening in one area, with full support of one's government, is deservedly being criticized.

Your response implies one needs some sort of purity and totality that is not, in fact, necessary.
One can say "this is wrong", while not focusing on all the wrongs. `
I wasn't saying you, specifically. However, the same type of people who would protest this are nearly always Ukraine supporters as well. It's pretty easy to predict people's causes nowadays.

Most issues can exist without purity and totality, I agree, because that's just reality. However, you cannot support the exact same action for one country while fighting against the exact same action for another one just because of perception of the country.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019

doth the poster protest too much funding goes to fund the arming of other nations?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I wasn't saying you, specifically. However, the same type of people who would protest this are nearly always Ukraine supporters as well. It's pretty easy to predict people's causes nowadays.

Most issues can exist without purity and totality, I agree, because that's just reality. However, you cannot support the exact same action for one country while fighting against the exact same action for another one just because of perception of the country.

1. Assuming the two conflicts are exactly the same is absurd. Again, not because I necessarily support aid to Ukraine, but because the US has taken a distinctly different side in both cases.

Lets stop with the "what aboutisms"

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

You’re missing who’s doing the protesting - Palestinians who are being killed by US backed Israel. They don’t give two shits about Ukraine.

To be similar, you’d need Ukrainians being killed by US backed Russia protesting. And they’d not give two shots about Gaza.

Your mistske, like always, is assuming “the left“ is a singular group. In fact, “the left” is just the tons of little groups who don’t fit under “the right’s” general white Christian umbrella. There are a multitude of different interests on the left, which is how you can have liberals angry At Jews, who also tend to be liberal.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom

I thought you were above the “I DISAGREE THEREFORE STUPID” stance?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

while i do think we should be sending aid to Ukraine and that we should dial WAY back on our aid to israel (and attach conditions to it)……i respect your opinion here and see merit in it.

Reactions: Ifallalot