Car totaled question

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
i had a bitch'n radio flyer back in the day

never should have let that ride go
We had a Maxima wagon and a Cressida wagon in the 80s and early 90s. Also had a beater Land Cruiser as a snow/city car in North Jersey - one of those jobs with the back seats on the sides, and so rusted the flakes on a decent day were wafting right through holes in the roof.

The Audi wagon with the twin turbo engine from the Lambo was #goals.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
911s have a flat six and lots of the BMW motorcycles have a boxer twin; both kind of have a reputation for burning oil.

I'd rather have a wagon than an SUV.
Interesting. I’ve had a few 911s (911L, 911T and a Carrera) and my last 3 bikes were BMWs (1600GT, 1200 GSA and currently a C 650 GT). Never had any oil issues (admittedly the 911s were not stock and saw a lot of track time). The C 650 is a scooter! Single gear transmission, 50-60 mpg. Wife demands I sell it now that I’m in my late 70s. Took it for a shake down ride to Baja Sur after the 500 mile break-inJohn2018-03-14 123521-2053845.jpeg

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Well sh!t.

Looks like the non-plug hybrids get easily 15- 20+ mpg over any new manny tranny out there.

So looking at the Yota Corolla Hybrid and Corolla Cross AWD Hybrid.

So what is owning a hybrid like? My big concern is (a) more expensive to maintain because (I'm guessing) any issue will be difficult for me to to diagnose/repair myself and (b) lifespan of transmission (although it seems all the Yotas have eCVT which is far superior to CVT and standard auto trans ?)

Also, what's the deal with battery changes?

I trust this place more than the ex-cons working the dealership lots. :roflmao:

No plug ins here, but I've had exactly 0 issues with my prius.

I can't speak for working on them yourself, as I have gladly forked out the $50-70 for the 10-15 oil changes I've had done. 15 minutes each time, I don't have to get out of my car, and I go through exactly 1 stoplight to get there.

Reactions: john4surf

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

Anyone recognize this location?

1714066037236.png

I don't mean this to be critical, but I've never needed to replace a clutch in a vehicle. What's up with people needing to replace clutches? Have driven many cars and trucks with 150k+ on them w/ the original clutch - 0 issues.

I did once replace a throwout bearing.:shrug:

I don't find your question critical.

Clutches are a wear part.

You drive highway miles and the clutch lasts a long time.

You drive in stop and go traffic where there are hills and the clutch lasts a shorter time.

Me, I live in a hilly urban center with lots of traffic, lots of stop and go, and often find myself parking on streets like this:

1714066462626.png

Also, had bought the car used from a track going aficionado. Would expect that to put fair amount of wear on the clutch too.

i had a bitch'n radio flyer back in the day
1714067572175.png

My brother and I defied death many times while chasing down the land speed record in ours.

Actually, he'd steer while I pushed and shouted something like 'for the land speed record' (and then hop in the back).

Soon we'd be moving close to 7-9 yr old running speed and inevitably something would need steering around. A little turning wouldn't be enough but if you went too far, we'd risk the whole front wheel assembly suddenly and violently over-rotating which would then lock at 90 degrees to the direction of momentum...from there it follows we'd get launched.

I don't recall us ever hitting a tree or sticker bush or going into the creek, but I do recall multiple wrecks with skinned knees/elbows, grass stains everywhere, and bruises of undetermined origin (as said to dear old mom "I don't know where I got these".

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone recognize this location?

View attachment 178843

I don't find your question critical.

Clutches are a wear part.

You drive highway miles and the clutch lasts a long time.

You drive in stop and go traffic where there are hills and the clutch lasts a shorter time.

Me, I live in a hilly urban center with lots of traffic, lots of stop and go, and often find myself parking on streets like this:

View attachment 178846

View attachment 178847

My brother and I defied death many times while chasing down the land speed record in ours.

Actually, he'd steer while I pushed and shouted something like 'for the land speed record' (and then hop in the back).

Soon we'd be moving close to 7-9 yr old running speed and inevitably something would need steering around. A little turning wouldn't be enough but if you went too far, we'd risk the whole front wheel assembly suddenly and violently over-rotating which would then lock at 90 degrees to the direction of momentum...from there it follows we'd get launched.

I don't recall us ever hitting a tree or sticker bush or going into the creek, but I do recall multiple wrecks with skinned knees/elbows, grass stains everywhere, and bruises of undetermined origin (as said to dear old mom "I don't know where I got these".
Big Wheels were my brother's and I favored method of nearly killing ourselves.
1714068754816.png

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
ABC945D6-329D-4CF0-A61C-52ED8776800D.jpeg
Interesting. I’ve had a few 911s (911L, 911T and a Carrera) and my last 3 bikes were BMWs (1600GT, 1200 GSA and currently a C 650 GT). Never had any oil issues (admittedly the 911s were not stock and saw a lot of track time). The C 650 is a scooter! Single gear transmission, 50-60 mpg. Wife demands I sell it now that I’m in my late 70s. Took it for a shake down ride to Baja Sur after the 500 mile break-inJohnView attachment 178831

Honda PCX 160 - my big purchase - should be good for my lifespan -

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
lots of the BMW motorcycles have a boxer twin
been around these in my younger years as my dad was a fan of the 1150gs and r1200

yes they burn oil when you first start them up and they hate being left on kick stands instead of their center stands, but the engines are bulletproof AF.

not sure exactly but compression ratios come to mind, although 911 turbo can’t exactly be low compression.

what wouldn’t surprise me is germans can get their tolerances right and use very good steel, so there is that as a datapoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Well sh!t.

Looks like the non-plug hybrids get easily 15- 20+ mpg over any new manny tranny out there.

So looking at the Yota Corolla Hybrid and Corolla Cross AWD Hybrid.

So what is owning a hybrid like? My big concern is (a) more expensive to maintain because (I'm guessing) any issue will be difficult for me to to diagnose/repair myself and (b) lifespan of transmission (although it seems all the Yotas have eCVT which is far superior to CVT and standard auto trans ?)

Also, what's the deal with battery changes?

I trust this place more than the ex-cons working the dealership lots. :roflmao:
We’ve had a Prius over ten years now. No issues. My only critique is the seats hurt my back on long (3+ hour) drives. Still got 48 mpg on our recent trip to Utah going 72-76 on highway (I always drive 2-4 mph over posted limit, figure no cop is going to ticket me for that).

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
would love to see a how-to on this

i looked into it a while back and concluded that the process would be prohibitively difficult and expensive
I think no can do. Or if can, not worth it. You don’t see all that many of them down here.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

i looked into it a while back and concluded that the process would be prohibitively difficult and expensive
Back in the day Armed Forces motoring enthusiasts in (West) Germany would "Grey market" hot cars they owned there and bring them back in. Not sure about title transfer, but throwing someone in the Services some l00t and having them bring what you want back might sidestep the non-US red tape.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Back in the day Armed Forces motoring enthusiasts in (West) Germany would "Grey market" hot cars they owned there and bring them back in. Not sure about title transfer, but throwing someone in the Services some l00t and having them bring what you want back might sidestep the non-US red tape.
Back in the day, this is how dear old mom brought back a VW Bug (after completing her stint in the consular services in Bonn)...it was her first car.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I looked into bringing a car from Italy back to the states. At the time the Honda HRV was not available in the US. I thought it was a cool, small size SUV. It looked like a lifted, mini Volvo wagon. It was way too costly. Made no sense. The version they eventually released I did not like at all.

I also looked into bringing back an old Moto Guzzi Falcon, but again too costly.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
For some reason you see a lot of JDM/rt hand drive imports around here. They’re cool but like I told somebody it also seems like a lot of work just for a fucking cool/weird mini van that you sit on the wrong side to drive.

@One-Off theres a really nice orange one of these here too

1714148110379.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: One-Off