Car totaled question

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
First clutch replaced at 66K miles, 2nd after market non-Subi clutch lasted till I got rid of it.
I don't mean this to be critical, but I've never needed to replace a clutch in a vehicle. What's up with people needing to replace clutches? Have driven many cars and trucks with 150k+ on them w/ the original clutch - 0 issues.

I did once replace a throwout bearing.:shrug:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I love my civic hatch. Bought new in 2016. Just hit 100K miles. One AC issue that was part of a recall and replaced for free. Just basic maintenance. Got 4 new tires Monday and the tech said I cant believe you have 100K mikes on this. Looks brand new. 3 surfers fit in with boards. No racks needed.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I love a Volvo wagon too. Pretty much all eras. But I've never owned one, and they aren't cheap.
We had two Volvos. The first one was non turbo and never had problems. It got 33 mpg on the highway. Great car but not a wagon. Then we got a V70 (turbo) wagon. Super comfortable and really quick. But that one was constantly at the mechanics. In retrospect there was a clue that I overlooked. The radio dial knob was rubber coated and had all these tiny nicks on it. After we sold the car I thought about that and I think they must have been from a high maintenance lady with long fingernails, the kind of lady that could not be bothered with car maintenance.

Will need manual tranny.
I've heard manuals are the best anti theft device against millennial car thieves.
I don't mean this to be critical, but I've never needed to replace a clutch in a vehicle. What's up with people needing to replace clutches? Have driven many cars and trucks with 150k+ on them w/ the original clutch - 0 issues.
You never do burn outs? If not, why do you want a manual?

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
would love to see a modernized version of this gem

View attachment 178751
Greatest surf wagon or car ever. I had one and loved it.

If they could make a new version I would be all in.

Everything in that little vehicle was engineered perfectly. From the flush fold down back seat to the storage under the fold down seat.

I loved my square back!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I guess the Acura TSX wagon is basically an Accord wagon with all the bells and whistles.

The last year they were made was 2014 and it was never offered as a manual.

They've aged pretty well IMO.
1714014642655.png

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Well sh!t.

Looks like the non-plug hybrids get easily 15- 20+ mpg over any new manny tranny out there.

So looking at the Yota Corolla Hybrid and Corolla Cross AWD Hybrid.

So what is owning a hybrid like? My big concern is (a) more expensive to maintain because (I'm guessing) any issue will be difficult for me to to diagnose/repair myself and (b) lifespan of transmission (although it seems all the Yotas have eCVT which is far superior to CVT and standard auto trans ?)

Also, what's the deal with battery changes?

I trust this place more than the ex-cons working the dealership lots. :roflmao:

Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Well sh!t.

Looks like the non-plug hybrids get easily 15- 20+ mpg over any new manny tranny out there.

So looking at the Yota Corolla Hybrid and Corolla Cross AWD Hybrid.

So what is owning a hybrid like? My big concern is (a) more expensive to maintain because (I'm guessing) any issue will be difficult for me to to diagnose/repair myself and (b) lifespan of transmission (although it seems all the Yotas have eCVT which is far superior to CVT and standard auto trans ?)

Also, what's the deal with battery changes?

I trust this place more than the ex-cons working the dealership lots. :roflmao:
I haven't owned a hybrid yet but I went down the rabbit hole last year while looking for a car for my girl. My takeaway was that Toyota has them pretty much figured out and there isn't much to worry about compared to a regular gasser. Just look at how many Prius are still out there with many hundreds of thousands of miles. If I recall the batteries like to be kept up so it's better to be driving the car regularly than having it sit for long periods of time. Costs a couple/few grand to replace the battery depending on whether you go refurb or new. I think getting a couple/few hundred K out of a the original battery is pretty common. The cars themselves will last like any Toyota if maintained. It's not any harder to do basic stuff. Spark plugs, oil changes, brakes, etc. It's all pretty much the same.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Fwiw re Impreza engines

Of my friends with them - 3 are on their second engine. Same story - burned oil like a mofo, engine eventually needed to be replaced in less than 100k.

on another note- don’t ever buy a Jetta (they come in wagon). I inherited my wife’s and every thing about that car is falling apart after 10yrs.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Fwiw re Impreza engines

Of my friends with them - 3 are on their second engine. Same story - burned oil like a mofo, engine eventually needed to be replaced in less than 100k.

on another note- don’t ever buy a Jetta (they come in wagon). I inherited my wife’s and every thing about that car is falling apart after 10yrs.
My year Subie had a sucky aluminum head gasket which was replaced with a multi-layered steel one AFTER one side of the block cracked. The engine has to be removed for head gasket changes on a Subie. Per your story, they also seem to be having cylinder tolerance issues.

Reactions: john4surf