Car totaled question

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I started looking online at cars for my wife today.

Not sure if I'll go new or used.

Will need manual tranny.
Likely used then.

Pretty limited options for new cars with a manual. Most of them are performance or enthusiasts cars.

Still a few cheaper options though.

Civic
Jetta
Mazda 3
Nissan Versa (please don't)

Reactions: PRCD

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Pretty limited options for new cars with a manual. Most of them are performance or enthusiasts cars.
Isn't this year the "last" year VW GTI will have such a thing?

EDIT:

Yep, last year for manual.

Source

Volkswagen revealed a special-edition package that will be applied to all 2024 GTIs, marking the end of the line for the stick-shift gearbox in VW's hot hatch.
BY CALEB MILLERUPDATED: AUG 31, 2023

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
It was a 2010. I sold mine after replacing the head gaskets and one side of the block at 140k (the block bolts together). It's not so much a year problem as it is the design of the engine - it's a "flat 4" rather than having upright cylinders or V cylinders like every other car, so the oil tends to seep into the head gasket and piston seals. I've heard the newer ones are actually worse because of the lower cylinder tolerances.

The CVT held-up fine though.
In the 90s, their EJ22 engine was bombproof. Albeit about as powerful as a lawnmower. I had one in a 96 Outback. The car has since been sold to friends and friends of friends, but I know that it's driven across country five times since I sold it 7 years ago. Only maintenace on the car was fluid changes and a suspension upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I don't mind the new Taco / 4Runner at all. They look pretty good to me, but yes quite a bit more expensive. I guess the nice thing is that used car values are so high right now its a bit of a wash if you have something to trade in. Bought a 4Runner in 2018 for 34k and its still worth 30k with 100k miles on it.

My wife has a 2017 Subaru Outback with 150k miles. No issues whatsoever. She looses about 1/4 quart of oil between every 6k mile oil change but that's been going on for about 100k now without any increase.

Reactions: PRCD and Aruka

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I don't mind the new Taco / 4Runner at all. They look pretty good to me, but yes quite a bit more expensive. I guess the nice thing is that used car values are so high right now its a bit of a wash if you have something to trade in. Bought a 4Runner in 2018 for 34k and its still worth 30k with 100k miles on it.

My wife has a 2017 Subaru Outback with 150k miles. No issues whatsoever. She looses about 1/4 quart of oil between every 6k mile oil change but that's been going on for about 100k now without any increase.

2017-2019 were a real sweet spot for car purchases, among other things.
losing under 5k of value in 100k miles is insane.

I guess mine is similar.
I bought my Prius V in 2020ish for under $20k with less than 20k miles.
Now with 108k miles, it looks like I might be able to get around 15k pretty easy.

I took a much bigger hit on my tdi that year.

Reactions: jkb

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
They burn oil b/c the heads are on the side and the newer cylinder tolerances are looser for emissions.
Owned a 1997 Subaru Impreza, got rid of it in 2017.

Had 186K miles on it.

When keeping it alive for that long, read lots about them (and did lots of my own (simple) maintenance).

Anyway, consistent topic that cropped up over time was a question if the cylinders become ovalized over time due to the piston skirt design.

Thinking was that not long enough skirt allowed the piston to 'rock' just enough (when cold) to slowly wear out the cylinder unevenly.

Subaru forums went back and forth about it and FWIW, no idea if the matter was ever conclusively resolved, and if you think about it, such a piston design would show up on any engine type.

Anyway, it doesn't make much sense to me that newer cylinder tolerances would be engineered to be "loose" for emissions. Such a design would wear parts faster, reduce power/efficiency. allow for more blow-by, and decrease the maintenance interval. Not saying this didn't happen due to some error, but to design for it?

PS

First clutch replaced at 66K miles, 2nd after market non-Subi clutch lasted till I got rid of it.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I started looking online at cars for my wife today.

Not sure if I'll go new or used.

Will need manual tranny.

Vehicles have become absurdly expensive and of course loaded with unneeded electronics.

I'll be taking her Fit.
Good man.

You putting roof racks on that thing?