Car totaled question

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Ive been wanting a more fuel efficient surf rig for a while now but I think I want a hatch or wagon. Sedans are kind of limiting.
I basically drive this. I just clicked over on 100k in the 2017 pPrius V It works for surf stuff, but I'd prefer a real wagon. Despite the larger rear cargo area, there are times where I think the regular Prius would have allowed for more cargo. The hatch allows a bigger trunk opening than the liftgate. That being said, I have, thus far, done nothing but get oil changes and have had zero issues. knock on wood.

I miss my Tacoma, but the Prius V mileage is much better. Not as great as my wife's Prius C that I don't mind driving to work at all (45-50mpg on my 120 mile RT commute) but it's a lot less of a Jenga puzzle to pack when we take the fam out (2 car seats). My commute is all freeway so mileage drops to low 30s with racks and a heavy foot (75-85 mph most of the time). I've I dialed it back to 70 it would be high 30s.

I had a '15 VW Golf Sportwagen (rebranded Jetta wagon) that was WAAAY more enjoyable to drive, got better mileage, and allowed for better interior cargo and passenger management, but the prices for diesel and potential repair costs had me running when it hit 100k.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I basically drive this. I just clicked over on 100k in the 2017 pPrius V It works for surf stuff, but I'd prefer a real wagon. Despite the larger rear cargo area, there are times where I think the regular Prius would have allowed for more cargo. The hatch allows a bigger trunk opening than the liftgate. That being said, I have, thus far, done nothing but get oil changes and have had zero issues. knock on wood.

I miss my Tacoma, but the Prius V mileage is much better. Not as great as my wife's Prius C that I don't mind driving to work at all (45-50mpg on my 120 mile RT commute) but it's a lot less of a Jenga puzzle to pack when we take the fam out (2 car seats). My commute is all freeway so mileage drops to low 30s with racks and a heavy foot (75-85 mph most of the time). I've I dialed it back to 70 it would be high 30s.

I had a '15 VW Golf Sportwagen (rebranded Jetta wagon) that was WAAAY more enjoyable to drive, got better mileage, and allowed for better interior cargo and passenger management, but the prices for diesel and potential repair costs had me running when it hit 100k.
I test drove a Prius. It felt a little cramped for my tall self.

A friend of mine is into VW's and I've had to rescue him a couple times. Seems like he is always having issues. Sucks because I think they look great, especially the Sportwagen.

I like Volvos but they might be similar to VW in the maintenance department.

A Subaru probably makes the most sense but good lord there are a lot of them around here.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

A friend of mine is into VW's and I've had to rescue him a couple times. Seems like he is always having issues. Sucks because I think they look great, especially the Sportwagen.

A Subaru probably makes the most sense but good lord there are a lot of them around here.
They burn oil b/c the heads are on the side and the newer cylinder tolerances are looser for emissions. I'd stick with a Toyota.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
They burn oil b/c the heads are on the side and the newer cylinder tolerances are looser for emissions. I'd stick with a Toyota.
Yota doesn't make a wagon.

What year is your subie? I've always avoided them because growing up everyone I knew had major problems with theirs. I thought by now they would have them sorted out...

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yota doesn't make a wagon.

What year is your subie? I've always avoided them because growing up everyone I knew had major problems with theirs. I thought by now they would have them sorted out...
It was a 2010. I sold mine after replacing the head gaskets and one side of the block at 140k (the block bolts together). It's not so much a year problem as it is the design of the engine - it's a "flat 4" rather than having upright cylinders or V cylinders like every other car, so the oil tends to seep into the head gasket and piston seals. I've heard the newer ones are actually worse because of the lower cylinder tolerances.

The CVT held-up fine though.

Reactions: Aruka

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Yeah. The VWs feel like a great car.

I love a Volvo wagon too. Pretty much all eras. But I've never owned one, and they aren't cheap.

I loved Subaru when I was younger and they were a touch more utilitarian looking. Now that they are basically an SUV with lower seats, I'm less into them. I think the pervasaveness of them takes some shine off too. As a user, the interior seems pretty middle-of-the-road. But again, they tend to, more or less, deliver on what they are.

Reactions: Aruka

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
why can't we have a modern version of this Accord wagon w/ a turbo 4....
View attachment 178747
or a modern version of the Camry wagon...
View attachment 178748
Because it doesn't look rugged/cool enough, but these lifted econo-boxes with zero length aft of the rear seat crossover pieces of sh!t sell like hotcakes.

My buddy/neighbor travels for work; every 4-5 days I'll start his car and let it come up to temp, have the idle settle down, and every other time I do this I tool around the neighborhood for 5 to keep sh!t moving.

That thing is the most god awful piece of sh!t I've ever driven. I'm sure it's reliable but holy fuck I'd feel safer descending Mount Everest in a shopping cart. Going 23 in a 25 is downright scary.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
why can't we have a modern version of this Accord wagon w/ a turbo 4....
View attachment 178747
or a modern version of the Camry wagon...
View attachment 178748

Sign me up.

The Camry Wagons were epic
The Accord wagons were more rare, but epic.
The Audi wagon era was rad, but I wouldn't pay the premiums. Same with the 3 series BMWs.
The early 00s Accords would have made fantastic wagons. Really, any era Accord should offer a wagon.
I miss the Impreza wagons of old.
I could almost be sold on the Mazda 3 hatches, but a true wagon would be incredible.

1713978337503.jpeg

Instead, we got all the "crossover" SUVs
Honda tried with the Accord Crosstour. Toyota did the Venza. Every carmaker has a crossover (or 5) that they offer in the US and most of them offer a WAY more practical compact wagon in other countries. ugh.

If ANY electric car competitor wanted to push Tesla for a segment of the market, they could offer a true wagon in the way that Rivian has gained traction in the large truck/suv corner.
Nobody is looking at Polestar, Lucid, Fisker.... But if they offered something that Tesla didnt? That would be interesting.

I'm no Tesla stan, but for the shits and giggles. Check this. IMO the roofline could still go back further, but you get the idea.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Seems like the thing to do is find an old one and try to fix it.

That Honda will easily outlive America.
I would consider it but old Hondas and Toyotas don't have enough leg room. I'm not sure but I'm guessing no telescoping wheel either. They were great when I was a teen and into my 20's but nowadays, forget about it.

My girlfriends modern Civic hatchback somehow has great legroom and an overall pretty comfy seating position despite being a tiny car.

I might just have to settle for a hatch or one of these godawful crossovers.

@casa_mugrienta what're you gonna get with your fresh loot?

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I would consider it but old Hondas and Toyotas don't have enough leg room. I'm not sure but I'm guessing no telescoping wheel either. They were great when I was a teen and into my 20's but nowadays, forget about it.

My girlfriends modern Civic hatchback somehow has great legroom and an overall pretty comfy seating position despite being a tiny car.

I might just have to settle for a hatch or one of these godawful crossovers.

@casa_mugrienta what're you gonna get with your fresh loot?
I like my Fit Hatchback (I have a 32" inseam) All mfrs are doing the sloping roof now though which limits the hatchback opening. Really irritating.