Car totaled question

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
This used to be a good way to figure out which year/model/makes were good. I think Phil Edmonson might've sold the publication to a corporate bugman conglomerate though.
To your earlier point about transmissions, my F150 has the 6-speed Automatic and its awesome. I haven't heard good things about the newer 10-Speed Automatic.

Rented a newer Ford Ranger on Kauai years back that had a 10-speed and didn't really like it. Shifting when it wasn't needed and bogging in too high of a gear often. Thankfully they have select shift with their Automatics so you can just lock out the higher gears to keep it in the preferred RPM range, but 10 speed is still overkill, and like you said, smaller and cant be as strong.

Reactions: PRCD

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
To your earlier point about transmissions, my F150 has the 6-speed Automatic and its awesome. I haven't heard good things about the newer 10-Speed Automatic.

Rented a newer Ford Ranger on Kauai years back that had a 10-speed and didn't really like it. Shifting when it wasn't needed and bogging in too high of a gear often. Thankfully they have select shift with their Automatics so you can just lock out the higher gears to keep it in the preferred RPM range, but 10 speed is still overkill, and like you said, smaller and cant be as strong.
I’ve got a 10spd in my f150 and it’s awesome. Ask the guys at the speed shop that ended up doing my suspension about them and they said the hadn’t heard of any problems with those trannies being used with souped up engine/hp wayyy past stock

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
They have Camry's in USA?
Yup. One of the best selling sedans in America for many years. I Had one years ago. A 2006 I think it was. Super reliable and comfy. Pretty boring to drive compared to the Hondas I had before it.

Ive been wanting a more fuel efficient surf rig for a while now but I think I want a hatch or wagon. Sedans are kind of limiting.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Partially agree.

A new model or major redesign could be a cause for concern if they don't nail it, and certain model years will have issues in certain areas, but it doesn't mean you should buy a sh*t box old vehicle. Anything could have issues, some worse than others and its always in flux.

2013 F150. One of the best selling vehicles on the road today. Did I look at past years that were considered the 'good years' for F150 and buy an old used vehicle, no, I bought new, and have done very well. Bought it for $37k and is still worth $15k to $18k. Driven it as much as I could ever want and never been concerned it will leave me stranded on a long trip. Nothing but oil changes, tires and brakes, one transmission fluid flush, and new plugs. Had a coolant leak 2 years back that cost a couple thousand to fix, and a MAP sensor go bad which was another $1,500. Considering all the travel and good times I've had with family and friends in this vehicle, I cant imagine being in something lessor.

2018 Tesla Model 3. Only the 2nd year for this vehicle. No real issues in almost 6-years now. Kinda deflates the argument about 'never buy a new model car'. I'd rather enjoy a new car than driving around in some beaten down joke of a ride.

If you're simply the type of person who doesnt like nice things, more power to you. Maybe you buy all used clothes too, or have a crappy house. In many cases new or nicer dont really matter. I certainly try to live with minimal material possessions. And while it's good to save money, there is a fault in spending too little on things as well when they simply cant do the job needed, so the money you did spend is essentially wasted on something which only holds you back every time you use it.
Yeah I get it, I like to throw money at certain new things too. For me, we all know cars depreciate massively right off the lot plus the sales tax, so there is that. After they have been out for a year or two and people have 20k on them, then you get the real reviews and reliability assessment. And now, even base model Nissans and Toyotas are expensive and Id rather retire better, so thats where older cars have merit with me. And yes, plenty of new models come out without glitches.

For the record though, I have bought used boardshorts at Goodwill for 6 bucks more than once.

It has been a lively chat on this matter and at this point I will conclude my input on this thread. Casa, I hope you fare well in your trials with the insurance company. I know you will do the right thing with whatever proceeds you net- and drive her into the ground if at all possible.

I am now inspired to explore a new direction. The concept is still in development but its going to be something along the lines of "***The Official I am So Cheap, that I....***" thread.

Al Soldano

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 18, 2002
Pleasantville
I got sideswiped, not my fault.
I'm glad you got sideswiped.

At minimum my passenger door and entire rear panel of the vehicle would need to be replaced. Frame is likely bent too.
I'm glad the frame is bent and the entire rear panel destroyed.

The car was worth around $1500 - $2000. Now worth much less.
I'm glad you drive a worthless piece of junk.

Car still runs - passing emissions questionable this August but as of now I think it would pass no prob. Eats oil like a MFer. 3 quarts every couple weeks or less.
I'm glad your worthless, totalled, oil eating piece of junk with a bent frame won't pass emissions.