The guy who set himself on fire outside Trump's trial was a poster here...

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
1713700461990.jpeg

The cover image is a crop of Malcolm Browne’s most iconic photograph featuring front and centre the heroic Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thích Quảng Đức, enacting self-immolation. It was taken in Saigon in 1963, with Quảng Đức protesting against the corrupt President Ngô Đình Diệm for oppressing the country’s Buddhist religion. A staunch Catholic and anti-communist, Đình Diệm was captured and assassinated in the US-backed 1963 military coup.

At the time of release, Browne was working as an Associated Press correspondent. The photograph was so moving that the widespread international attention it garnered led US President John F. Kennedy to withdraw its support for Diệm’s government. Given what we noted above, that’s a remarkable feat for a single photograph. The image of Quảng Đức remains as shocking today as it was back in the ’60s, and that is indicative of its power. Furthermore, Browne was also awarded World Press Photo of the Year, showing the degree of impact it had. The image perfectly captures the band’s spirit and real message: always rage against the machine.

[https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/rage-against-the-machine-political-album-cover]

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
View attachment 178476

The cover image is a crop of Malcolm Browne’s most iconic photograph featuring front and centre the heroic Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thích Quảng Đức, enacting self-immolation. It was taken in Saigon in 1963, with Quảng Đức protesting against the corrupt President Ngô Đình Diệm for oppressing the country’s Buddhist religion. A staunch Catholic and anti-communist, Đình Diệm was captured and assassinated in the US-backed 1963 military coup.

At the time of release, Browne was working as an Associated Press correspondent. The photograph was so moving that the widespread international attention it garnered led US President John F. Kennedy to withdraw its support for Diệm’s government. Given what we noted above, that’s a remarkable feat for a single photograph. The image of Quảng Đức remains as shocking today as it was back in the ’60s, and that is indicative of its power. Furthermore, Browne was also awarded World Press Photo of the Year, showing the degree of impact it had. The image perfectly captures the band’s spirit and real message: always rage against the machine.

what machine was a band on a major label raging against? they should have done the fugazi route. $5.00 shows, all ages, or they weren't playing. that's DIY punk rock ethos. RATM sold out and were just a merch company for che shirts.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
what machine was a band on a major label raging against? they should have done the fugazi route. $5.00 shows, all ages, or they weren't playing. that's DIY punk rock ethos. RATM sold out and were just a merch company for che shirts.
The core protest band straight outta Irvine. I went to school with Zach De La Rocha’s cousin - he was another suburban poser.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
Fugazi had it in writing 35 years ago.
0:24

Reactions: tacos and b.r.

SFKneelo

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 11, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site
View attachment 178476

Here’s a couple of pictures of his memorial I took a few weeks ago in Saigon.
8105925A-D6E8-4880-B6B3-C2567EBFBCB6.jpeg

89D88AF2-96CB-42E3-82EC-9A36A173DD07.jpeg

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
a dude, a dude, a dude is on fire
was talking with my youngest (who shares my sick, demented, dark sense of humor) about doing some video editing to put the og suicide footage to music (especially the part where he starts to dance a little jig) and he suggested this one...

• Haha
Reactions: Chocki and ReForest

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
was talking with my youngest (who shares my sick, demented, dark sense of humor) about doing some video editing to put the og suicide footage to music (especially the part where he starts to dance a little jig) and he suggested this one...

It’s important to have a sense of humor about life and that extends beyond the absurd to encompass even the tragic. That and comedy should be slightly offensive. Just bc I’m making light of it doesn’t mean stocked the dude napalmed himself, particularly considering the cause he chose. He was obvs fucked in the dome.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
It’s important to have a sense of humor about life and that extends beyond the absurd to encompass even the tragic. That and comedy should be slightly offensive. Just bc I’m making light of it doesn’t mean stocked the dude napalmed himself, particularly considering the cause he chose. He was obvs fucked in the dome.
Well said... I echo this.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Decades ago I had a neighbor who was an arson investigator with the fire department. He told me of an interview with a house fire victim in the hospital (moderate external burns). After the talk, he spoke to the doctor who told him the fellow would be dead by morning, We occasionally see “smoke inhalation” as a cause of death in the media. What that equates to is the searing heat destroys follicles or other internal parts of the lungs and sometimes it takes a few hours before the victim dies when lungs fill up with fluids that can’t be dispersed because of the damage from the searing heat. Hell of a way to go, ugly death.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Meh, it’s hard for me to criticize musicians for “selling out”. I’m sure they made a sh!t ton of money selling merch. But one could also argue music on a major label gets one’s message out to a larger audience. Maybe the anti-capitalist, anti-colonialism angle was just a schtick to target a specific audience.

Regardless, the recording quality on that record was top f@cking notch.

Imagine how much better some of the DIY punk albums would have sounded with better equipment. I know, that defeats the aesthetic and punk was a reaction to over-produced and highly polished music of the day.

DIY RATM would have probably had the same reach as Propagandhi. Which I also love.

Reactions: tacos and ReForest
Jan 12, 2002
Austin, TX
Meh, it’s hard for me to criticize musicians for “selling out”. I’m sure they made a sh!t ton of money selling merch. But one could also argue music on a major label gets one’s message out to a larger audience. Maybe the anti-capitalist, anti-colonialism angle was just a schtick to target a specific audience.

Regardless, the recording quality on that record was top f@cking notch.

Imagine how much better some of the DIY punk albums would have sounded with better equipment. I know, that defeats the aesthetic and punk was a reaction to over-produced and highly polished music of the day.

DIY RATM would have probably had the same reach as Propagandhi. Which I also love.

Propaghandi has blossomed into a very cool hardcore and message forward band. I respect what they are doing a lot. Bad Religion-level lyrics. Not everyone's cup of tea, but to each their own.

This song is about the monk who self-immolated. It's good.

Reactions: tacos

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I was watching some videos online about the guy that lit himself on fire and he looks young.

Maxwell Azzarello

1713891845864.jpeg

Witnesses said the man, who was in his 30s, pulled pamphlets from a backpack and threw them in the air before he doused himself with a liquid and set himself on fire. One of those pamphlets included references to “evil billionaires” but portions that were visible to a Reuters witness did not mention Trump.

The NYPD said the man, who they identified as Max Azzarello of St. Augustine, Florida, did not appear to be targeting Trump or others involved in the trial.

In an online manifesto, a man using that name said he set himself on fire and apologized to friends, witnesses and first responders. The post warns of “an apocalyptic fascist coup” and criticizes cryptocurrency and U.S. politicians, but does not single out Trump in particular.