HTs - What's it like?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Haven't been back to Indo since COVID, but I have a window of opportunity this summer. Pretty familiar with Sumatra, but never been to the islands. Been watching dreamy vid after dreamy vid of those beautiful rights at HTs recently, but always been put off by the crowd factor. What's it really like during peak season? How are the other waves in the area? Easy to get to? Any recommendations on accommodation? HTs Resort quoted me about $350/night, so looking for alternatives that are nice, but not that nice. Any tips would be appreciated...

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Pretty fucking crowded.

one of the most crowded spots I have surfed in the ments.

‘looks easy but I found it to be a pretty fucking heavy spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goodfish
Mar 25, 2024
Peak season at HTs can get crowded, but there are other waves nearby like Lance's Left and Bintangs worth exploring. Travel involves flights and boat rides. Look into guesthouses or homestays for cheaper accommodation options like Aura Surf Resort or WavePark Mentawai.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
here’s vid I took from a fun day. Decent crowd

How decent is that crowd? 15 people? When it's pretty fucking crowded, how many we talking about? 30?

I know it's heavy, but I'm not after the triple-up roll-ins. Something like this would be meh/OK:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
that vid is a very uncrowded day. I was being cheeky, it was during covid hahaha.
I have seen 60 + people out. Half of them chargers who are hungry for a good tube.

Also I got my ass kicked on a OH day. Its pretty heavy at all times, that video makes it look so easy.
I had dreams of easy tube sessions at HTs.

My reality was paddles around the lagoon, moments of terror and a few small victories

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Peak season at HTs can get crowded, but there are other waves nearby like Lance's Left and Bintangs worth exploring. Travel involves flights and boat rides. Look into guesthouses or homestays for cheaper accommodation options like Aura Surf Resort or WavePark Mentawai.
love bintangs. Such a fun punchy wave.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
that vid is a very uncrowded day. I was being cheeky, it was during covid hahaha.
I have seen 60 + people out. Half of them chargers who are hungry for a good tube.

Also I got my ass kicked on a OH day. Its pretty heavy at all times, that video makes it look so easy.
I had dreams of easy tube sessions at HTs.

My reality was paddles around the lagoon, moments of terror and a few small victories

:roflmao: :roflmao:
Haha, yeah...You had me frothing thinking that was 'the crowd'. Although I too have dreams of easy tubes, I'd prefer lesser quality waves with less sweet and delicious bag of pickles in the water. Might have to stick with Sumatra...