Occy-Boxy Shortboards

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So the board paddles like dogshit but oddly catches waves easy...fuck it paddles so bad...first two waves I said this is a wash. Can't turn it, I can feel the suction from the concave too. Third wave stood up a bit then it clicked, waist high, 80s shortboard out of that era feeling, kinda fun, loose enough. Wow. Lucky wave maybe. Next one better. OK, now I'm having fun. Caught two more and yeah it actually works:foreheadslap:

The more the wave stood up the better it felt. Stomach high with a little curve, very engaged in the pocket, nice flowing rising/falling down the line feel . Held energy off the bottom. I actually want to ride it again, see if it will do a deep bottom turn and try to push it vertical. I doubt it but we'll see.

Not really my typical style, but I expected to be throwing it in the dumpster. I'm keeping it.:shrug:

But damn paddling it is work!

That's really a good looking sled, any pics of the bottom/concaves ?
I'll post some when I get the chance.

You make that one @casa_mugrienta?
Yeah

I had an outline and rocker I created on Aku based off tweaking a Xank but the outline didn't print correctly, so I created a new template by combining a few templates that were around at the shop. Came up with a rail and decided just straight single concave.

Then we basically tag teamed - the shaper would do one half then I would do the other.

With lots of guidance I did the single concave and cut most of the rocker. Scary. Rails are nerveracking too.

It is not easy but so much fun.

When you go in the room you become completely absorbed.

Then last Saturday I shaped a single fin by myself, came out decent, but then I cut that one down to shape another board from the same blank.

It is very humbling to see how shitty you are, and you realize all the blood sweat and tears of those guys who came before you.

Especially the foil.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Why do you reckon it doesn't paddle well? Does it feel like enough volume?

I definitely recommend trying to get a little further forward and up over the nose a bit more while paddling a beak nose design.

Shaping is so fun. If I had someone to glass them I would get back into it. Still hope to again some day, crummy glass jobs be damned.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why do you reckon it doesn't paddle well? Does it feel like enough volume?
Yeah plenty of volume - more than my usual.

I think it's the foil.

At least that's what it feels like, felt very different from the moment I first paddled it.

Then it caught waves pretty well. And once I figured it out I guess it worked.

Rocker is very mellow, so going off feel, my amateur brain says foil.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Casa, looks pretty good! I handshaped two back in the mid-nineties and they were ROUGH, yours looks much much better/symmetrical. One went ok enough that I rode it and ended up selling it. I saw it pop around the South Bay every couple of years. My final view at El Porto was some novice carrying it out and it had been repaired which looked like a full break in the middle. I wish I still had it. I probably have a pic in some tote somewhere.

surfride1977

OTF status
Nov 20, 2005
Was Rusty selling a model called the "89" for awhile? I remember reading something like it was a more refined '84 but now I'm coming up with nothing on Google.. Am I just getting senile or was this a thing?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
JS occy i had around 2005 was one of my all time favorite confidence boards. 6’5 round pin, matching fcs fins. Packed the biggest closeouts on that board. it couldn’t be pushed too hard. Snapped in half, RIP

6’2 parm occy, 10 years later, with weird semi parabolic rail stringer thing and squash tail. Dog. Turning it was like pulling nails out of a wall with the back of a hammer.

I've always been curious about any "Occy" board models, but 've never ridden one.
99-00 Occy had me lusting after a Dahlberg round pin pretty hard.

That being said, the JS Occy ones look far less stubby than the 80's inspired Occy boards from Rusty or Parmenter, understandably. So much so, that I didn't feel I needed to try the Raging Bull model. I could just ride a modern, typical shortboard. But maybe I'm missing out.

*That being said, looking at the dims online and one of the 6'0" for a DD type or a 6'3"-6'6" for a step up looks pretty t!ts. I'd probably want a touch less width in the bigger end of the range though.

Reactions: motosurf

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I've always been curious about any "Occy" board models, but 've never ridden one.
99-00 Occy had me lusting after a Dahlberg round pin pretty hard.

That being said, the JS Occy ones look far less stubby than the 80's inspired Occy boards from Rusty or Parmenter, understandably. So much so, that I didn't feel I needed to try the Raging Bull model. I could just ride a modern, typical shortboard. But maybe I'm missing out.

*That being said, looking at the dims online and one of the 6'0" for a DD type or a 6'3"-6'6" for a step up looks pretty t!ts. I'd probably want a touch less width in the bigger end of the range though.
IMG_0648.jpeg

occy’s own 6’5 from 2000. Different type of occy board than the post is about, really. But then, occy said he never liked squash tails

Reactions: manel85

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i kinda wanna try one of these. quad, with concaves
1713547061165.png

Last edited:
i kinda wanna try one of these. quad, with concaves
Yeah, I'm hard for this... Good stuff...

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Mark Occhilupo
1999 world champ

I was riding one of Jim Banks’ boards when I first started getting good. Jim was a big-wave rider from Australia, and his boards were not bad at all. But the first year I came to California, I met Rusty. He was the kindest, most tranquil man I’ve ever met. He’s such a big man, but he was just so calming. He simply said, “I can make you a board, Mark, and I think you’re gonna really like it.” He didn’t even have to talk me into it. He was so confident. I just went, “I’m in. Shape me a board.” I hadn’t heard much of him at all. I was a grommet. I felt like he must be a really good shaper because I could feel his aura. And he made me a board that completely changed my surfing. I remember the first time I rode that board, at River Jetties in Newport [Beach], I just couldn’t believe it. I remember I couldn’t even sleep that night. I fell in love with the board, blown out of my mind how a board could be that good. That year, I won the Op Pro. That board was magic, and I won a lot of contests on it. It had a thickness from the tail right through to the nose, even through the whole board, which I think is really important so you can hold the rail way better, especially if you’re a bigger guy, like me.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Mark Occhilupo
1999 world champ

I was riding one of Jim Banks’ boards when I first started getting good. Jim was a big-wave rider from Australia, and his boards were not bad at all. But the first year I came to California, I met Rusty. He was the kindest, most tranquil man I’ve ever met. He’s such a big man, but he was just so calming. He simply said, “I can make you a board, Mark, and I think you’re gonna really like it.” He didn’t even have to talk me into it. He was so confident. I just went, “I’m in. Shape me a board.” I hadn’t heard much of him at all. I was a grommet. I felt like he must be a really good shaper because I could feel his aura. And he made me a board that completely changed my surfing. I remember the first time I rode that board, at River Jetties in Newport [Beach], I just couldn’t believe it. I remember I couldn’t even sleep that night. I fell in love with the board, blown out of my mind how a board could be that good. That year, I won the Op Pro. That board was magic, and I won a lot of contests on it. It had a thickness from the tail right through to the nose, even through the whole board, which I think is really important so you can hold the rail way better, especially if you’re a bigger guy, like me.
Derek Hynd was traveling with Occy as a sort of assigned manager/coach and said the board instantly changed Occy's surfing to another level.

Reactions: manel85 and 000

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
. It had a thickness from the tail right through to the nose, even through the whole board, which I think is really important so you can hold the rail way better, especially if you’re a bigger guy, like me.

at that point he was 145-150 pounds
210 now, allegedly
1713574358871.jpeg1713574435465.jpeg1713574570391.jpeg1713574504144.jpeg

Last edited: