Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
We have a 1999 Tsuru that has 3 times that much mileage, all of it on fkd up/dirt roads. I like to keep a car running until the investment to fix it requires more than 5 minutes to think about. You’ve spent more time than that just posting about it here.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
We have a 1999 Tsuru that has 3 times that much mileage, all of it on fkd up/dirt roads. I like to keep a car running until the investment to fix it requires more than 5 minutes to think about. You’ve spent more time than that just posting about it here.
The car has 211, 000 miles on it.

3x the 86k I put on mine? If your car never touched the highway that's a few kms away and has 258,000 miles on it...that's a lot of trips to the mini mart.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I got rear ended by a delivery truck last year. Fucker was on his phone.
Long story but their insurance tried to fuck me. I got a lawyer.
Ended up with a few K for my medical and suffering and then 19k for my car, which is paid off.

Also I am somehow not on salvage title because I sued them for damages and didnt go through my insurance.
Weird situation that netted me a bunch of money and now I drive a car with a big dent in it.

GF hates it but IDGAF, I also bought a ton of stock with the settlement. up about 40%

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
A little off topic. The day before yesterday, coming home from a surf I stopped behind another car at a stop sign. When th other car went I pressed down on the gas pedal and my car (85 VW Vanagon Westfalia) had died. I tried starting it. No go. Had it towed to mechanic. I thought maybe it was the gas pump or something with the ignitiong. He called yesterday. Timing belt broke. Valves bent. He has to pull the head and see if the pistons are ok. If pistons are bad it’s a full rebuild- 3-7k. :cursing:

Keeps tabs on the mileage of your timing belts folks, and replace in a “timely” manner, better early than to late.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I got rear ended by a delivery truck last year. Fucker was on his phone.
Long story but their insurance tried to fuck me. I got a lawyer.
Ended up with a few K for my medical and suffering and then 19k for my car, which is paid off.

Also I am somehow not on salvage title because I sued them for damages and didnt go through my insurance.
Weird situation that netted me a bunch of money and now I drive a car with a big dent in it.

GF hates it but IDGAF, I also bought a ton of stock with the settlement. up about 40%
This is the way. New cars are a lot more expensive, relatively. Used cars are therefore more expensive also. The cheapest car is the one you have. The frame straightening might not be great and Casa's car needs a new engine, but if you squeeze enough money out of the settlement, you can pay for both.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Does it still drive straight? I am surprised to hear the frame is bent on a side swipe unless it was a real bang up. What brand is it?

If it drives straight I would fight for more money and drive it into the ground. I wouldnt fight that hard though because its 200k plus and 12 years old. But with a few minutes of research you might be able to get a few more bucks from the insurer. Find some comps and if you have maintenance records, pictures, or anything that can present that the car is in good condition you can argue that it is worth more. Even used cars cost way more post covid. Their first offer is going to be lowball city so throw that at them and you might get 1000 more for a few minutes off effort.

Beaters are great. No payments, cheaper insurance (dont forget to lessen your coverage as the years go by), dont need to roll up windows or lock it, stay in your suit and just shower at home, can park anywhere- no worries about dents and dings, you fly under the radar unless its a total piece of sh!t, and so on.

Finally, the vehicle will certainly salvage so you'll have to get new plates at the dmv. This will afford you the opportunity to get a slick personalized plate that you can post on the thread and get erbb hall of fame points. Here are some erbb inspired ideas:

THA CASA
BKTCHKR (bucket chucker)
THWBKTS
TUBTROL
ICURPSY
PSSYLKR
ERBBKNG

Im sure the think tank can come up with more ideas.

Oh, try using the next grade up (thicker) of oil. It might burn less.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The car has 211, 000 miles on it.

3x the 86k I put on mine? If your car never touched the highway that's a few kms away and has 258,000 miles on it...that's a lot of trips to the mini mart.
Miles. Not km. The closest mini mart isn’t close.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Does it still drive straight? I am surprised to hear the frame is bent on a side swipe unless it was a real bang up. What brand is it?

If it drives straight I would fight for more money and drive it into the ground. I wouldnt fight that hard though because its 200k plus and 12 years old. But with a few minutes of research you might be able to get a few more bucks from the insurer. Find some comps and if you have maintenance records, pictures, or anything that can present that the car is in good condition you can argue that it is worth more. Even used cars cost way more post covid. Their first offer is going to be lowball city so throw that at them and you might get 1000 more for a few minutes off effort.

Beaters are great. No payments, cheaper insurance (dont forget to lessen your coverage as the years go by), dont need to roll up windows or lock it, stay in your suit and just shower at home, can park anywhere- no worries about dents and dings, you fly under the radar unless its a total piece of sh!t, and so on.

Finally, the vehicle will certainly salvage so you'll have to get new plates at the dmv. This will afford you the opportunity to get a slick personalized plate that you can post on the thread and get erbb hall of fame points. Here are some erbb inspired ideas:

THA CASA
BKTCHKR (bucket chucker)
THWBKTS
TUBTROL
ICURPSY
PSSYLKR
ERBBKNG

IEATASS

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Quit being suck a cheap fukk and get a good car you'll be stoked on this time. ;)

I understand your philosophy about it being a tool only to get from point A to point B and a depreciating asset yada yada, but Ive always done very well purchasing new vehicles and keeping them for 6-10 years and still getting a good chunk of money back out for them that I roll into the next one, not to mention unlimited use with very few issues beyond basic maintenance.

Worth It!! :cool:

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente

THA CASA
BKTCHKR (bucket chucker)
THWBKTS
TUBTROL
ICURPSY
PSSYLKR
ERBBKNG

STOCKED
FAVRIOT

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
As mentioned insurance will figure out repair cost and give you that as a check. You don’t have to do the repairs.

not sure how they evaluate older cars but in my experience driving cars into the ground they don’t total the low value cars, they just cut you a check for $2k and leave you with the pieces to figure out.

I think in the end you’ll wish your car was never side swiped. You’ll spend more than any check you’ll get before you’re road worthy.

in my old car side swipe experience the check for $2k only covered body work and paint. The real issue surfaced about a month later when the upper control arm critically failed, thankfully I was only backing out of a parking spot when the front wheel literally snapped off.