Help w New Board Purchase

Apr 10, 2024
May purchase this stick n not sure if I need to buy a new leash for it? I can’t tell how u attach the one hangjng on the driftwood. Maybe I’ll just put the driftwood n that ole Leash on a fireplace mantle n spring for a new one… IDK.

IMG_7344.jpeg

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
kindly insert the buoy hanging from the driftwood into your anus. it'll improve your performance when surfing. also, make sure your leash string is rasta colored. not sure where you surf, but you will need it to match the pad if you want to be accepted in the lineup. good luck.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
May purchase this stick n not sure if I need to buy a new leash for it? I can’t tell how u attach the one hangjng on the driftwood. Maybe I’ll just put the driftwood n that ole Leash on a fireplace mantle n spring for a new one… IDK.

View attachment 177637
To piggyback off the above: if you’re caucasian, you should definitely start your hair on a dreadlock program before paddling out, in order to get the full effect of the pad and new leash.
Agree 100% on the rasta pad = dreadlocks. But I think maybe allocate the new leash budget to a ding repair kit. Rasta pad white guy dreadlocks duuus generally "didn't see you there" 2-6 other duuuuuus per surf and an old poly is going to require some sanding.

Apr 10, 2024
The Colonel would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for your thoughtful advice. The Colonel salutes you.

The Colonel will keep the Rasta pad, n grow out white guy dreadlocks.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Oregonians are the champs of white rastas per capita, no question. Also highly competetive in the arenas of hackysack, rockstacking and frisbee golf.
You may have us beat when it comes to hackysack, rockstacking and frisbee golf. But don't underestimate the Floridians abilities when it comes to skimboarding, criminal mischief and ecstacy parties.

1712835559918.png

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
More Rasta pads per capita: HI or FL?
Relatedly, more white rastas per capita: Oregon or FL?
This I don't know, and while my data from the Panhandle is sparse, I firmly believe that rasta pad prevalence correlates inversely with surf prevalence. I don't really see that many rasta pads in Duval, St. John's, Flagler, or Volusia Counties. There's an Orlandork or three at Smyrna/Ponce occasionally but in the Southern half of North Florida it's probably 50/50 the rasta pad burning you is Gorkin or the branded-as-such Rasta air guy from Flagler who rides the Rad Rippers. But get over to the Clearwater-Marco stretch and you'll see all sorts of white rastadom. Similarly, every mile you go farther South on the East Coast, the rasta pad increases. If you're surfing in Stuart, you can tell if it's a rasta pad's first time at certain spots. If they paddle out up the top and try the "didn't see you" routine, there'll be a swift and severe reaction. More down the way, there are far more intermediate visitors for white rasta to "didn't think you were gonna make it".

By the time you get south of Lake Worth Inlet you basically need to give the patch you're padding out into a once-over to see just how many people aren't going to see. If there's waves coming through, try to sit on the edge of the local groms. They're generally not burn artists nor VALs. Avoid, like the plague, anyone not on a shortboard/alt. Funboards/HPLB in South Florida have an extremely high incidence of slapping the blinders on and going right on lefts. South Florida is normally left to its own devices on Southerly wind events when I'm told it can get quite fun, but it often is fun elsewhere in Florida. Conversely, the Norths and Northerners that descend on the place Nov-March? You will see rampant use of volume to shoulder hop and then go right on one of the many lefts sweeping down the beach. Plan on this board then blockading broadside until its owner bailswims back out to repeat the process.

• Haha
Reactions: sizzld1 and Havoc