Darks Arts EPS and Carbon Fiber Surfboards

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Yep….Absolutely would help. This is my quiver of poly/carbon/epoxy boards from local SoBay shaper/shredder Andy Prunuar(Proper Surf & Foil boards) - I sprayed them with water based from Montana Colors(what surfboard lam shops use when not airbrushing)
View attachment 175608View attachment 175609View attachment 175610
Okay... so I've decided to keep the Vader but I took the pad off, cleaned it all up and i'm gonna paint the bad experience away.

I went to Michaels and was gonna pick up the Montana GOLD Acrylic paint. It was $13.99.

Untitled-Montana.jpg

Butttt.... the cheap bastard that I am, I saw there was another on called Ironlak Acrylic Spray Paint for $7.99. So I went with the Ironlak.

images-IronClak.jpg

Anyone have any experience with this one??

I dont think I want to do the whole deck, just the rails. My plan is to paint the rails, let it sit for 24 hours and then hit it with clear coat.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Okay... so I've decided to keep the Vader but I took the pad off, cleaned it all up and i'm gonna paint the bad experience away.

I went to Michaels and was gonna pick up the Montana GOLD Acrylic paint. It was $13.99.

View attachment 177618

Butttt.... the cheap bastard that I am, I saw there was another on called Ironlak Acrylic Spray Paint for $7.99. So I went with the Ironlak.

View attachment 177619

Anyone have any experience with this one??

I dont think I want to do the whole deck, just the rails. My plan is to paint the rails, let it sit for 24 hours and then hit it with clear coat.
you fucked up. Not even joking. Montana gold is legit , other cans meh not so much.

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
You may be allright, I would spend the extra $5.

Montana gold are the best low pressure spray cans out there. I can do the cleanest lines and the pressure is consistent. No sputtering which leads to drips and splatters.

Montana will adhere better to surfaces than cheap spraypaint and the colors are better.

And again its $5!!! I guess I choose different things to be cheap about.

• Sad
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
You may be allright, I would spend the extra $5.

Montana gold are the best low pressure spray cans out there. I can do the cleanest lines and the pressure is consistent. No sputtering which leads to drips and splatters.

Montana will adhere better to surfaces than cheap spraypaint and the colors are better.

And again its $5!!! I guess I choose different things to be cheap about.
1712788587818.png

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Hey @ReForest,

I would listen to the painting advice from @santacruzin and @waxurDyl

Remember what happened last time you tried to paint a board? Your instincts cannot be trusted in this particular genre.

Also, when you go back to get that can of Montana go ahead and get literally any other color than gold....... and anything else that has sparkles.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Has anyone gotten a DA or other carbon board with the bottom tinted?

Maybe im missing something but it makes more sense to have the bottom be a lighter color so I could set the board down bottom side up in the sun for more than two seconds without it cooking...

The all black boards arent a huge issue here in the PNW but it sometimes sucks to be unable to chill on the beach for a few mins on a sunny day before or after a session.
White is not going to help.

It will get hot just like a white fiberglass board but delaminate.

The foil guys are well aware of this, which is why they use mirrored board bags.

Lots of DAs at the ding repair places for this sole reason.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Well sheeet. I guess I'll go back and get the Montana. The GOLD is the type of Montana can, it's not the color.

I was thinking white rails.

Reactions: jkb

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
White is not going to help.

It will get hot just like a white fiberglass board but delaminate.
White boards don't get hot like black boards though.

A Dark Arts board is scorching hot in just a few minutes of direct sun.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
White boards don't get hot like black boards though.

A Dark Arts board is scorching hot in just a few minutes of direct sun.
Prob not in Oregon, but 80+ in the sun will get a white board piping hot too.

Factor in epoxy/eps and carbon itself it really needs kid gloves when it comes to temp.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Can you explain why a Dark Arts board painted white would be more heat sensitive than any other eps build because I don’t see how the introduction of carbon standing alone would make a difference.

Last edited: