Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I will add, fins consistently I like

Futures DHD
Futures Jordy (newer version)
Futures Xanadu
FCS Mick Fanning

People often claim the Jordys are the same as the Merrick templates. They are really so different, as I was able to confirm today with my own two feet.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
AM2's are my "Default fin". If I want to get used to a board, or reset what I think about a board, I put them in, because they're the perfect fin.

Reactions: sh3

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
AM2/AM1 haters - hit me up if you’ve got a set to sell.
I have four Futures sets.

Two sets of True Ames solid glass

One set of Techflex - five fin set

One set of old futures vector - AM2s with inside foil.

I also have one set of FCS just in case.

Not selling.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Have never heard any hate. Used to see them used way more, including myself when I was younger. I think maybe fins just got a bit more refined and diluted hence them being used less?

they were my go to. Now it’s either YU’s or EA’s for me.

Reactions: Duffy LaCoronilla

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Tease.

you have a preference between the TA n the Techflex?
TA for most boards. Rear fin is same size as sides and they’re solid fiberglass. Haven’t surfed a thruster that much in a few years though.

The vectors I’ve only actually used one fin. Heel side front on a Disasym. When I was going through fins for the giveaway I found the vector set in the fin box. No idea where they came from or when I got them. Maybe came with some board I bought. I can’t recall using them ever except for the asym.

I’ll try them in my red beauty or ghost next time either board gets used and report back.

Going backside on the Disasym with vector on the front and a flat foiled futures quad rear is really lively off the bottom.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Ding.

So many people I know, have heard, read about, seen youtube videos, etc. say this exact same thing.

New board? First set that goes in are AMs.
I think this is due to the popularity of CI in CA.

Seems like a logical choice so people use them.

To me they have always felt dead and not engaged.

What I've noticed almost universally in every board is they seem to lack drive.

I used to wonder if this was due to the lack of area in the tip
So I tried the Captain Wade Goodall fin (all glass, very similar to AM but more tip and smaller rear) - loved it in pumping waves.
Hmm.

So today, Jordys (M) taken out of my P2 (the board and Jordys are like pease and carrots, replaced with AM1s.
I'm thinking overall the templates are pretty similar so should yield results that resemble one another.
Not so.
So bad - not engaged, less speed, poor highlining.

I really tried to figure out what was going on and TBH it just feels like the rear fin is not there, which really doesn't make sense, but I don't know how else to explain the feeling.

Now admittedly the surf was crap - stomach high with some chest high sets, windblown closeouts. But the Jordy felt so different and so much better, much more engaged at every moment. Despite being quite smaller.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think this is due to the popularity of CI in CA.

Seems like a logical choice so people use them.

To me they have always felt dead and not engaged.

What I've noticed almost universally in every board is they seem to lack drive.

I used to wonder if this was due to the lack of area in the tip
So I tried the Captain Wade Goodall fin (all glass, very similar to AM but more tip and smaller rear) - loved it in pumping waves.
Hmm.

So today, Jordys (M) taken out of my P2 (the board and Jordys are like pease and carrots, replaced with AM1s.
I'm thinking overall the templates are pretty similar so should yield results that resemble one another.
Not so.
So bad - not engaged, less speed, poor highlining.

I really tried to figure out what was going on and TBH it just feels like the rear fin is not there, which really doesn't make sense, but I don't know how else to explain the feeling.

Now admittedly the surf was crap - stomach high with some chest high sets, windblown closeouts. But the Jordy felt so different and so much better, much more engaged at every moment. Despite being quite smaller.
Rear fin is smaller than sides. True Ames makes a set with all three the same size. Smaller rear works best, IMHO, for speed running point breaks. Board will be faster and loser.

The rest of this post isn’t worthy of response other than to say I think it’s all in your head.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Best and most reliable thruster set against which all others are measured.
Also the 70/30 quad rear is great in many types of boards as is the new upright Bobby Quad 80/20.

Reactions: Havoc and ReForest