you guys are slipping on another sponsorship change...

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I see the youngest Gadauskus brother in Oside regularly. He is still so freaking good. Super nice guy as well.

I don’t really understand the roi on surfers, but if there were ever surfers I’d want representing my brand it’s them.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
All 3 of the Gudang brothers are good guys. Been in the water with them more than a couple of times. On a pretty good day a few years back, they were out with their Dad south of the Harbor, and they worked as a team to make sure their old man got some really good waves and rode a bunch of waves together. Seems like a nice family all around.

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
The Florence crap looks generic af, would fit right in with the Costco Da Hui sh!t. I guess there's big money in the covid learner/exxxtreme tech bro crowd sh!t. I figure they'll sponsor Laird or that one Maui tow guy whose name I can't recall soon

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
I admit, I am not an advertising expert.

But if I were to own a surf wear company, I would ditch all these weird, home schooled surf boys, and have hot women in bikinis advertising all of my stuff.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Not a pro surfer deal.

Rip Curl has become the title sponsor or whatever you call it for The Eddie. Why does it matter? More prize money and money to run the event.

The last winner Luke Shepardson won $10k and 350,000 Hawaiian miles. John won in 2016 and took home $75k.

The event window has closed for this season but we’ll see what happens next winter. There were swells big enough to run but the wind was bad and the peak of the swell was overnight.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Not a pro surfer deal.

Rip Curl has become the title sponsor or whatever you call it for The Eddie. Why does it matter? More prize money and money to run the event.

The last winner Luke Shepardson won $10k and 350,000 Hawaiian miles. John won in 2016 and took home $75k.

The event window has closed for this season but we’ll see what happens next winter. There were swells big enough to run but the wind was bad and the peak of the swell was overnight.
This news made me happy, and an obvious PR move for Rip Curl. I'd think The Eddie is the one event that gets non-endemic-surfing (read: Mainstream) attention. Stoked that it means the event goes on.

Reactions: teeroi