"best" way to reshape glass fins

Oct 30, 2019
I got some true Ames glass twin fins that are nearly impossible to get into or out of some futures boxes due to their long and extended base. I dont like spending five minutes per fin trying to get them in and out of boxes without a ding - but the fins have a good foundational shape. so I want to reshape them.

the fins are of this general type:

1712091672642.png

I dont want to throw the fin designer under the bus so let's keep that vague. DM if you must know.

what's the best / easiest method to trim the long base and reshape to something with a decent foil but without the tendency to trash the glass behind the futures box?

Dremel? what attachment? angle grinder - fast and dirty with some hand shaping after?

anyone have experience with this? can torren martyn help me please? is he on this forum? can someone give me his personal number ?

any help appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: Retropete

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Whenever fins are difficult for me, I pull 'em out and reinsert a few times. After a few rounds it gets significantly easier. No need to mess with grinding it down.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Sometimes I grab my insurance card from my wallet and slide it under the rear base for added safety. A little wax on the base definitely helps also. Lots of keels have that overhang.

Reactions: Retropete

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I got some true Ames glass twin fins that are nearly impossible to get into or out of some futures boxes due to their long and extended base. I dont like spending five minutes per fin trying to get them in and out of boxes without a ding - but the fins have a good foundational shape. so I want to reshape them.

the fins are of this general type:

View attachment 176930

I dont want to throw the fin designer under the bus so let's keep that vague. DM if you must know.

what's the best / easiest method to trim the long base and reshape to something with a decent foil but without the tendency to trash the glass behind the futures box?

Dremel? what attachment? angle grinder - fast and dirty with some hand shaping after?

anyone have experience with this? can torren martyn help me please? is he on this forum? can someone give me his personal number ?

any help appreciated.
Now imagine once you try these self evident solutions offered up (wax on the base and something under the rear of the fin to protect the board) how red faced you would have been if you'd outed a fin designer and taken to your fins with a dremel or even worse an angle grinder and posted up your results here?
:roflmao:

Oct 30, 2019
well - I am surprised that nobody has any feedback on the original question I asked. what is a good way to reshape fins? GG did it .... but how? yeah I could go all old school and scrape the things against stone of different roughness but what is a better way?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
1. Solicitation credit card under trailing edge for to be of protec.
2. When you remove the fins, try to dry off the water trapped in the box, and clean out the box and the base so there's not enough salt to cure a herd of buffalo in one or the other.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
well - I am surprised that nobody has any feedback on the original question I asked. what is a good way to reshape fins? GG did it .... but how? yeah I could go all old school and scrape the things against stone of different roughness but what is a better way?
Going to your original question, I've only done it once. On a paddleboard (that's prone) keel-style fin. I carefully marked where I needed the fin to end (back edge) so I could more easily get it in the box. Custom prone boards usually use an 8" box. Then I took a hack saw and went at it. Sanded the edge and done. Made sure to carefully calibrate all edges and corners using an extremely scientific device: my eyeballs.

Finished product - you can still vaguely see the line from my Sharpie:

IMG_9640.jpg

Anything more than this, I go to an expert.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I would think as far as template and foil adjustments go, an orbital sander is your friend.

I'm always surprised how much material those things can chomp away at with the right grit and some gentile pressure.

i wouldn’t use a dremel or powered hand cutting tools that can run on you. Maybe a band saw if you have a relatively straight cut like sh3’s, otherwise, grab a hacksaw like he said and then buff and sand to perfuction

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I’ll tell you how not to reshape them. And when i do, you’ll understand why i’m not allowed to go back to Sea World.

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Going to your original question, I've only done it once. On a paddleboard (that's prone) keel-style fin. I carefully marked where I needed the fin to end (back edge) so I could more easily get it in the box. Custom prone boards usually use an 8" box. Then I took a hack saw and went at it. Sanded the edge and done. Made sure to carefully calibrate all edges and corners using an extremely scientific device: my eyeballs.

Finished product - you can still vaguely see the line from my Sharpie:

View attachment 177031

Anything more than this, I go to an expert.
Is that you that I always see paddling in circles off Ledbetter?

Oct 30, 2019
thx - might go with Japanese pull saw and hope it doesn't ruin the blade ... or maybe one of those cheap Home Depot hack saws the meth heads use when they break into your car to steal your radio and spare change