*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
We had a fun weekend in Park City - now we're out here in Copper for the next 10 days to watch our kids get their 'nationals' on. Not my favorite place terrain wise but it's fun to post up in the village and enjoy the festivities, see old friends, support the kids and get some laps in.

IMG_2118.jpg

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Last thread spam post i
Weird weather today for our last day riding. Super slushy in the village ( which is still pretty high by alpine standards at 7000 ft)
So windy that most of the higher lifts were shut. Fun day though…..
View attachment 176529
Nice turn. Had a Salomon Special as my first new board. Mostly loved it. Still hangs on the wall. Looks like you’re on a Huck Knife or something similar there.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
We had a fun weekend in Park City - now we're out here in Copper for the next 10 days to watch our kids get their 'nationals' on. Not my favorite place terrain wise but it's fun to post up in the village and enjoy the festivities, see old friends, support the kids and get some laps in.

View attachment 176913
Charging!!

We’ll be in Aspen tomorrow.

Reactions: bruhdakine

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Nice turn. Had a Salomon Special as my first new board. Mostly loved it. Still hangs on the wall. Looks like you’re on a Huck Knife or something similar there.
Its a super 8 - perfect Dad board!

Currently in the throes of a board dilemma though. Maybe people have some opinions.
The super 8 is a 2019 ( so before they slightly stiffened it) 154. I am 158lbs so slightly heavier than when i bought it.
90% of my riding is piste cruising with family. I like how the super 8 is fairly soft and lets you cruise at mellow speed but is damp and holds a really good edge even going pretty fast. Its a board that can handle some charging but doesn't need to be ridden at 50mph to wake up.

But.... i occasionally get somewhere where its dumped or get to go on a sidecountry hike mission. With the bindings set all the way back, the 154 super 8 floats ok (its kinda mid wide/ volume shift) but there are times when having something with a bit more nose float would be ideal.

The difficulty is that flying to the alps usually means only taking one board ( so often cant take the little lib i posted a pic of earlier) I want something that has a little more float than the super 8 but is similarly playful on the groomer days.

interested in peoples opinions on options..........

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Its a super 8 - perfect Dad board!

Currently in the throes of a board dilemma though. Maybe people have some opinions.
The super 8 is a 2019 ( so before they slightly stiffened it) 154. I am 158lbs so slightly heavier than when i bought it.
90% of my riding is piste cruising with family. I like how the super 8 is fairly soft and lets you cruise at mellow speed but is damp and holds a really good edge even going pretty fast. Its a board that can handle some charging but doesn't need to be ridden at 50mph to wake up.

But.... i occasionally get somewhere where its dumped or get to go on a sidecountry hike mission. With the bindings set all the way back, the 154 super 8 floats ok (its kinda mid wide/ volume shift) but there are times when having something with a bit more nose float would be ideal.

The difficulty is that flying to the alps usually means only taking one board ( so often cant take the little lib i posted a pic of earlier) I want something that has a little more float than the super 8 but is similarly playful on the groomer days.

interested in peoples opinions on options..........

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I was at Woodward Park City on Saturday watching my son ride in a mini pipe event. Super fun. Hope you guys had a good weekend!
We did have a good time. We snobbed it up at Deer Valley on our Ikon passes. My wife and her friend are lower intermediates and love that place. There's $$$$$$$$ in gear snowplowing down every green and blue run. Never seen more private lessons being taught in my life. That noted, there is some really fun terrain there and it's big enough that you don't get board. Started breaking in my new ski boots and had a blast.

Hope your kids kill it in CO!!

Reactions: bruhdakine

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Keep hearing good things about anplid! That one is probably a bit big for me - I’m like 5’6 & 158. The soulmate looks good value & gets good reviews
Id describe my MG as very user friendly/easy to ride, very versatile and very well made/durable.

I think Soulmate would be a good boar for you too, 153cm? 30% off rn at Amplid.com is hard to beat

Last edited:

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Id describe my MG as very user friendly/easy to ride, very versatile and very well made/durable.

I think Soulmate would be a good boar for you too, 153cm? 30% off rn at Amplid.com is hard to beat
yeah saw that! very tempting!! Cheers for the suggestion!

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Perfect spring conditions. empty butter soft groomers and found some excellent mashed potato snow in the “back bowl” for some surfy fun. Ngl got wicked high before going to the point I forgot why I was driving somewhere on the way up for a minute, glad I did too once I saw how forgiving the snow was. Made a point of avoiding runs/lifts with the big moguls, the small ones were very shreddable/fun and before I bailed I got to rip a lil snake run through some trees so I was stocked
IMG_0643.jpeg

IMG_0642.jpeg

IMG_0646.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

You know it’s a good spring day when you barely need gloves at all

IMG_0649.jpeg

Last edited:

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Last week at Kirkwood. Thursday was a powder day, not super deep, but fun. As I boarded the chairlift to the intermediate slopes with my wife for the first run of the day at 0855, EVERYBODY was in line for Chair 6. It's usually the first chair to the top of the mountain to open on a powder day, and usually a good hour+ before the Wall opens. As I'm getting on the chairlift, I hear on an employee radio that the Wall is also opening at the very moment. Holy sh!t, this is rare, and I doubt many people are going to catch on.

I let my wife know that I'm gonna ditch her for an hour or so, and I make my way over. I go through the gully to get some freshies in that direction, the snow is fresh, not super deep in this particular area, but plenty fun. I do a little side-air that naturally forms and stomp the landing. As I do, I feel something hit my arm. That was weird. About 50 feet later I glance down at my jacket and notice that my chest pocket is wide open. It was my phone! I stop, take my board off, and run back to my landing area. Luckily the snow isn't very deep, and the layer underneath is fairly firm. People are starting to make their way down from the top, and I'm frantically searching without disturbing the snow too much as to not further bury it.

The gully gets to it's most narrow point here, and comments from people range from "What the hell are you doing?!" and "That's a bad place to stop!" I'm able to use the "Find my Phone" feature on my Garmin watch to track it down within a couple inches (it doesn't give an audible through the phone, just a meter on the watch to show you're getting closer),swipe away some snow, and find it speared into the harder pack underneath the fresh stuff. Phew! By this time, I was in the midst of the group heading up the Wall, instead of ahead of it.

Luckily, there is plenty of space of there, and I took two laps down one of my favorite runs, and it was very untapped. I joined the wife for the later part of the morning, then spent the afternoon taking some hikes up the ridgeline separating the frontside and backside. Found a stellar section of the mountain that had probably the deepest stuff and next-to-no traffic.

Friday was a groomer day, and spent it cruising around with the wife, my dad, and my cousin. There was some decent wind pack in spots, and it was so much fun, we stayed out a couple hours later than we planned. Snowing more by the end of the day. Good times.

Last edited:

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Back in mammoth, snowed 2 feet earlier this week, light dusting tonight…great conditions, temps to remain winter like until Tuesday when I bail. Fun groomers on tap.

Reactions: npsp and bruhdakine

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Snuck up to Bear Valley with the fam on Thursday night. Terrible night's sleep, but seeing 10" of cold snow on the ground ithe next morning was like a jolt of caffeine to the system. Bombed up to the mountain from Arnold and traded laps with my wife while we watched our kid in the lodge. I haven't been up to that mountain much, but there is some fun tree riding. And an entire backside which we didn't get to explore. Good wholesome family fun, capped off by a walk through Calaveras Big Tree State forest to walk amid the truly massive Sequoias. And the best part was taking the backroads the entire way and avoid the guts of San Jose, which is normally unavoidable.. and generally sucks some of the fun out of it for me. Stoked.