***The Official Retirement Post***

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
congrats and enjoy

got my 25 years teaching in by age 49 so quit then and was planniing on tapping into pension at 55 - take a big hit but living in indo so no big deal

however got a dream job here - insane ex pat package so back to work in july - plan on working 4-6 years and bank a lot then hold off on pension until 60 and then collect

new job 15 mins from super suck and scar reef

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
congrats and enjoy

got my 25 years teaching in by age 49 so quit then and was planniing on tapping into pension at 55 - take a big hit but living in indo so no big deal

however got a dream job here - insane ex pat package so back to work in july - plan on working 4-6 years and bank a lot then hold off on pension until 60 and then collect

new job 15 mins from super suck and scar reef

How is the pay relative to your previous CA salary? And how does that work? Are you paid in Rups or USD back in your US account?

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
How is the pay relative to your previous CA salary? And how does that work? Are you paid in Rups or USD back in your US account?
85k a year w bonus each year completed
accommodation and food provided - they cover most of my Indo taxes and i dont make enough to have to pay US taxes - 2 plane tickets to point or origin - said LAX -

rupiah each month about 112,000,000 lol

:cheers:

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Wow. Sweet deal. That package is going to go a long way over there. Probably no administrative headaches or helicopter parents either.

And I suspect you'll be summering in Nias. You can do no wrong!

Reactions: Truth

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Congrats Sr Pato!

I crept into retirement a couple of years ago (around 63yo) along with the wife after lockdown re-assessment of life. It takes time to adjust and see all the benefits. Just having flexibility takes away so much of life's stress although weekday surfing doesn't seem much less crowded these days. I could fill lifetimes doing things I'm interested in and yes, seem to be very busy - the classic phrase "How did we have time to work" is true although I can spend 3 hours sat at the computer doing god knows what on a morning now - well you kind of relax into things. To give us even more time doing what we want, we are downsizing, as I spend a lot of time maintaining our old property which I frankly resent as its an endless task. We are looking forwards not back and I've had a growing sense of contentment/satisfaction I've not felt for a long time. Retirement life is great if you are lucky enough to have fairly good health, enough money to do what you want (within reason) and someone you want to share it with.

Something to think about: My father is 92 and he's been retired longer than he worked. His pension provider must be thinking about hiring a hitman :LOL:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Congrats Sr Pato!

I crept into retirement a couple of years ago (around 63yo) along with the wife after lockdown re-assessment of life. It takes time to adjust and see all the benefits. Just having flexibility takes away so much of life's stress although weekday surfing doesn't seem much less crowded these days. I could fill lifetimes doing things I'm interested in and yes, seem to be very busy - the classic phrase "How did we have time to work" is true although I can spend 3 hours sat at the computer doing god knows what on a morning now - well you kind of relax into things. To give us even more time doing what we want, we are downsizing, as I spend a lot of time maintaining our old property which I frankly resent as its an endless task. We are looking forwards not back and I've had a growing sense of contentment/satisfaction I've not felt for a long time. Retirement life is great if you are lucky enough to have fairly good health, enough money to do what you want (within reason) and someone you want to share it with.

Something to think about: My father is 92 and he's been retired longer than he worked. His pension provider must be thinking about hiring a hitman :LOL:
My grandad retired at 62 and lived until 103. I think that’s why Kodak went bankrupt.

My blood pressure went down ten points when I retired.

Ditching the alarm clock was heavenly.

As far as mid week surfing, I can always avoid a crowd. Also now days I time my go outs based on best tide, not crowd avoidance.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
My grandad retired at 62 and lived until 103. I think that’s why Kodak went bankrupt.

My blood pressure went down ten points when I retired.

Ditching the alarm clock was heavenly.

As far as mid week surfing, I can always avoid a crowd. Also now days I time my go outs based on best tide, not crowd avoidance.
Being able to set my own schedule is going to be a huge change in my life. Also, the ability to surf during the best tides and weather conditions is a dream come true. It sure as hell won’t hurt to drop my blood pressure either.Not only that, I’m really looking forward to hanging out with my friends and family a lot more.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
It's official, I gave notice to my boss and HR yesterday that I will be retiring on September 30th. After 29 years of faithful service to the State Judicial System, I've decided it's time to really have some fun. My pension would be fully maxed out if I waited another year but the difference in pay would be minimal. Now's the time to enjoy life, travel, surf whenever I want to, play tennis, pickleball, fish, buy a new truck and trailer, maybe even a boat.

Another fun fact is that I've accrued so much vacation time that I can apply it towards my offical date of separation which would put me out of the office somewhere around the end of July. View attachment 176495

Oh yeah, and I'm 58 years old. View attachment 176497
:bowdown:

Reactions: john4surf

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
It's official, I gave notice to my boss and HR yesterday that I will be retiring on September 30th. After 29 years of faithful service to the State Judicial System, I've decided it's time to really have some fun. My pension would be fully maxed out if I waited another year but the difference in pay would be minimal. Now's the time to enjoy life, travel, surf whenever I want to, play tennis, pickleball, fish, buy a new truck and trailer, maybe even a boat.

Another fun fact is that I've accrued so much vacation time that I can apply it towards my offical date of separation which would put me out of the office somewhere around the end of July. View attachment 176495

Congratulations! I retired at 57 and just turned 64 this past January .... haven't looked back.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

I’m 60 and have no hope of retiring in the near future
i honestly can’t see me having enough money to be able to live off investments for decades
and if I can’t afford to live the way I’d want in retirement, then id rather not retire

i like my job well enough, but I really would like to take a few years off while I’m youth and health enough to enjoy the time, but I didn’t set myself up for that

The financial impact of having A kid while still in college with a girl who never aspired to make much money goes on forever, at least the way we did it

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Stopping working isn't difficult but letting go of the identity of being a working person is harder. So that's why I only just closed my work facebook page! Thanks for the reminder :)

Reactions: sponge

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
How about the part where you stop having a paycheck?
How is that not difficult
I don’t live extravagantly. Ask subway. I really dont
But living in a high cost of living area and wanting to travel, that alone is enough to rip through a boatload of money
I need to get a financial advisor type person for the $ part and a shrink for the mental part

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
phook punching a clock, it takes more years off your life than any other thing.
This is why I've always worked for myself after college. Mental grind of dealing with asshole bosses/managers, trying to bullshit my way up the corporate ladder, pretending to enjoy hearing all about the boss' family vacation in Paris.

Reactions: warble2