Consecutive days surfing

Feb 5, 2024
But but but but there’s a kid from New Jersey who’s claiming 1000 plus consecutive days or some such bullshit. Cute kid but just come on. There are no shortage of days during that time frame where there wasn’t a wave big enough in NJ for a Barbie doll to get a waist high wave. Count it though.
the newspapers like this story....but...i'm skeptical....he paddles out in 40mph onshores?
doubt it. (n)

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
East swell closeouts w sideshore bump. A couple of corners that i could not seem to be in the spot for. Bet SJ and LI are good.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You guys get a spring mullet run?
We don't get a spring mullet run, but there is a spring migration. Finger mullet will start to show up on flats, but there's not a specific run anything remotely like the fall.

* Cobia are more available around the 70F water mark
* Pompano have a quite distinct migration up to NC zones with similar water temp preferences
* Snook become far more prevalent on the Treasure Coast
* Spanny Macks - these were THICK last bump at Mayport
* Canal Tuna - sized jacks can feed voraciously nearshore post-spawn (Treasure Coast)
* Mothers-Memorial Day you might see Permit on the Treasure Coast
* Tarpon start heading back North.

Probably some other changes I'm not aware of. We often get a week or two push of small blues/jacks in dense numbers in the springtime. Also sow trout are beginning the feed into the late spring/early summer spawn.

Reactions: mundus

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
One of the best days for surfing in western NY in a long time yesterday...we call em hero days, the waves are so good you could surf any board at any skill level and have a good time. We do laps around the jetty... and in geriatric news I started adding a 'laydown in the sand and watch the clouds go by to catch my breath to my laps' I can imagine those mini naps turning into solid naps..maybe I will start going to the beach just to sleep - 'sick nap session at the jetty today'

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My kid got home at 6:00 this morning raving about how good it was all day yesterday at a certain spot located almost exactly half way between those two cams. He showed me a couple of impressive video clips. Surfed all day and drove through the night to get home. Wish I was 18 again and had his backside barrel riding skills.

1712322039198.png

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm glad you East Coast bros get some occasional good days.

Here in So Cal it seems like there's been constant surfable waves, some days really good, since October. :jamon: I checked my calender and there was only one week, November 19-25, that I didn't surf at least twice. Most weeks it was 3-4 times a week. Only once I surfed 4 days in a row, but that was not for lack of surf. It was to give my neck/shoulder a break. It has been a great winter spring in LA.

Road trip next week will break a long surf streak (18 weeks surfing at least twice a week). I'm afraid when I come back it might be to the summer doldrums. Then, about September, I will make my annual "this was the worst summer ever" post....

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I'm glad you East Coast bros get some occasional good days.

Here in So Cal it seems like there's been constant surfable waves, some days really good, since October. :jamon: I checked my calender and there was only one week, November 19-25, that I didn't surf at least twice. Most weeks it was 3-4 times a week. Only once I surfed 4 days in a row, but that was not for lack of surf. It was to give my neck/shoulder a break. It has been a great winter spring in LA.

Road trip next week will break a long surf streak (18 weeks surfing at least twice a week). I'm afraid when I come back it might be to the summer doldrums. Then, about September, I will make my annual "this was the worst summer ever" post....
been watching the cam for the first left on the hill all winter...seems like its been pretty good to real good almost every day...talked to one of my pals who still lives and surfs that zone and he is calling one of the best winters ever

Reactions: One-Off