Big Island recommendations?

ocean7847

Miki Dora status
Jun 23, 2004
the Injured Reserve
Heading to Big Island for the first time end of this month into next - will be staying in Waikoloa resort/condo-land area, north of Kona. Family trip sponsored by grandma, bringing all her kids and grandkids - we’ll be bringing an 8 and 2 y/o into the mix. Should be hectic!

So, what’s the collective recommended must-dos and spots to add to the list? I’m aware the Big Island is too big for us to be seeing everything (I think Hilo and volcano is out this trip, but who knows!). Surfing in immediate vicinity looks … limited? But I don’t really care if it’s 6foot pumping - any surf in Hawaii is fun, logs and bodysurfing included. Probably could travel down towards Kona for a session if the waves were worth it.

That night swim with manta rays sounds great, as does exploring the northern tip of the island for the Hawaiian heritage. Would think trip towards Waimea and out to north coast for the lush/cliff experience are good calls. Doubtful I’ll surf waipio but I’ve been lucky before.

whatcha think?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Heading to Big Island for the first time end of this month into next - will be staying in Waikoloa resort/condo-land area, north of Kona. Family trip sponsored by grandma, bringing all her kids and grandkids - we’ll be bringing an 8 and 2 y/o into the mix. Should be hectic!

So, what’s the collective recommended must-dos and spots to add to the list? I’m aware the Big Island is too big for us to be seeing everything (I think Hilo and volcano is out this trip, but who knows!). Surfing in immediate vicinity looks … limited? But I don’t really care if it’s 6foot pumping - any surf in Hawaii is fun, logs and bodysurfing included. Probably could travel down towards Kona for a session if the waves were worth it.

That night swim with manta rays sounds great, as does exploring the northern tip of the island for the Hawaiian heritage. Would think trip towards Waimea and out to north coast for the lush/cliff experience are good calls. Doubtful I’ll surf waipio but I’ve been lucky before.

whatcha think?
Hey you!
How's it going?
Added another to the mix did ya? Congrats! :bowdown:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Its a big island. The new saddle road had opened it up some. Cant drive down to Waipio without 4wd. Its worth the walk. Hawi is good. Mauna Loa Resort beach is incredible. Kauna oa. Hilo beaches are nice. Pohiki is gone.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Pine Trees just south of the airport is your friend. Drive straight across the street from the little shopping center with the Pine Tree Cafe, go around the golf course, and head south down the coast to the various parking areas down the beach. Novice friendly but as I found out fookin shallow here and there. Haha.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If Kilauea is erupting when you are there, go. It's a long drive but when are you gonna get another chance?
It's otherworldly at the top of Mauna Kea, the drive up can be made by any car. Respect the altitude and the locals at the bottom, and the sacred sites at the top.
The drive down to Capt. Cook is cool and the snorkeling down there is phenom.
Kona is pretty touristy and Waikoloa has an OC-on-lava vibe to it, IMO.

Jun 16, 2012
san clemente
Capt. Cook Monument hike and snorkeling. Easy, approx. 2 miles down, nice views. Pretty, pretty great snorkeling in the cove. Bit of a grind going back up- especially if it's hot. Bring water, wear decent shoes.

Reactions: keenfish

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Pine Trees is rubbish. I would never recommend that place to go surf, but some seem to like it. And unless late season NW with prominent west in it, there will be no surf in the Waikoloa area. Possible that Mahai'ula would catch on a regular NW and that IMO is the best wave on the west side. Located at the Kona Coast State Park. Town is always Banyans and Lymans. Maybe south swell might show up too.
Been having a good run of swell on the east side as of late, including Bayfront.
If no waves, go Hapuna Beach. Bring sunblock.
If the older people in your group are not used to being in the water and/or in decent shape, do not take them snorkeling.
Don't swim laps like 100 yards plus off shore. That's some trolling you don't want to do.
Umeke's in Kona for lunch or dinner is good. Parking ain't the best. Queen's shops has Sensei. Good place but can get pricey.
Saturdays in Hilo and Waimea will have markets set up for fresh fruits and vegetables, honey, other type foods. Think in Waimea on Wednesday afternoons on the road in the back of the hospital they have a market plus food trucks.
Since you're at a condo, hit up Costco just south of the airport before you head out.
Stop by Randy's Huli Chicken in Kealakekua for lunch on Thursday or Friday. Chicken, Ribs, and more. Be on the makai side when heading south. He's got some really good food, plus seasoning and sauces for sale.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Haven't been there for almost 40 years but the helicopter ride out of Kona was amazing. Saw untouched Hawaii. It was incredible.

Jan 11, 2022
If Kilauea is erupting when you are there, go. It's a long drive but when are you gonna get another chance?
It's otherworldly at the top of Mauna Kea, the drive up can be made by any car. Respect the altitude and the locals at the bottom, and the sacred sites at the top.
The drive down to Capt. Cook is cool and the snorkeling down there is phenom.
Kona is pretty touristy and Waikoloa has an OC-on-lava vibe to it, IMO.
Just fyi for the OP, car must be 4wd to go to top of Mauna Kea. Just island hopped over there and had 2wd car and couldn’t go to the top. Not that you’ll use it, just a requirement to get past the visitor center or whatever

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Just fyi for the OP, car must be 4wd to go to top of Mauna Kea. Just island hopped over there and had 2wd car and couldn’t go to the top. Not that you’ll use it, just a requirement to get past the visitor center or whatever
Yeah we rented a 4wd for the day to drive up but I thought the road was pretty EZ duty. Right when we left the top this dude in a Buick comes rolling on up the hill. But they might be checking tourists to have a 4 wheel rig. This was several years ago.

ocean7847

Miki Dora status
Jun 23, 2004
the Injured Reserve
Flight heads out this week - so any last second suggestions, now’s the time! The surf looks basically flat the whole time we’re there (makes it easy - no wave chasing). Not sure exactly what’ll happen but will be happy to share a lil post-trip summary. Thanks for the recs!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Flight heads out this week - so any last second suggestions, now’s the time! The surf looks basically flat the whole time we’re there (makes it easy - no wave chasing). Not sure exactly what’ll happen but will be happy to share a lil post-trip summary. Thanks for the recs!
If you do the manta swim you can just swim or paddle out and save yourself a ton of money. We just paddled out on wavestorms.

Park on Ehukai. You’ll see a crosswalk which continues to the water. Launch off the rocks. If it’s too choppy/swell you can just paddle from the boat launch but that makes it a longer paddle. Recommend checking it out during the day first. Also make sure you’re lit up with glow sticks/flashlights, etc. Boat traffic with tourists watching the mantas is pretty heavy and you want them to be able to see you.

Get a mask, paddle out, stick your face in the water and watch the show.

Reactions: ocean7847
Jan 11, 2022
Boiling pots, rainbow falls, akaka falls. All close together. Boiling pots is super sick but you need to hike down and to the left to actually see it (very short hike).

Reactions: Chile Verde

Chile Verde

OTF status
Sep 29, 2011
where the wind begins
There were no waves on my last trip so I spent a lot of time swimming at both Carlsmith and Richardson Beach parks. Poke at Suisan is pretty tasty. Even when its small Honoli'i has longboard waves

Reactions: kawika

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Not gonna be flat at Honoli'i if you can make it to the east side.

Such a rad spot!

Reactions: Chile Verde

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
TOURISTY STUFF
Captain Cook - snorkling
Kahalu'u bay - surfing
Volcano - pictures
Hilo Farmer's Market -Shopping
Waipio Valley lookout Kohala - pictures
Hawi - Guitars/Hippie Stuff
Hilo - Paliku Surf/Sig Zane/Hawaiian Force

FOOD STOPS
Kona
Huggos

Waimea
Merriman's

Hilo
Two Ladies Kitchen - Strawberry Mochi
Cafe 100 - Loco Moco, Shave Ice
Atebara's Potato Chips
Big Island Candies

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Last minute, I know, but I don't think has been mentioned.

We really really enjoyed a driving/snorkling day on the Kohala Coast. It's the North/West coast, about 20 Miles N or where you're staying. It's almost totally barren and dry on the W shore line, and gets more green and lush as the road turns E toward Hawi.

Started at Lapakahi State park. It's a self guided path through the abandoned remains of a village that's I think 600 years old. It's right on this striking and beautiful rocky shore line, and there's sign posts telling you the history of the village before it was abandoned. I found it totally fascinated and haunting.
I hear you can snorkle there, but the jump in was too sketchy (with like 1' of W swell).

Then, we went to Mahukona beach park. It was probably my favorite snorkling of the whole trip.
There's a small lot, and the entrance point is a short ladder off the lot, and there's reef and fish right there.
My wife and I also swam/snorkled south maybe 1/4 mile. Full disclosure, there was almost no W swell that day. I imagine it could be hazardous with swell.

Then, we drove north to the Pololu Valley Lookout. We hiked the trail down to the valley. It was about 20 min to the bottom, and I thought it was totally worth it. If you're not with a bad-balance grandma or a jumpy toddler, I think it's doable for most people.

Then, we took the 250 South, which takes you way up and runs S along ranches and grass lands, with a view of the whole coast to the south, all the way to captain cook. Maybe my favorite drive ever.

K, besides that coast, I also recommend:

John Keawe. We saw him play twice. As a guitarist, I really really enjoyed his dynamic and genuine playing. Fully recommend. Looks like he's playing Friday at in the Mauna Kea Resort. https://johnkeawe.com/

In captain cook:
- Two step is great snorkling. Kinda crowded, but a pretty big area and dynamic reef floor just a few yards out from the crowd.
- Kayak across Kealakekua Bay to the Cook monument is rad. It's a bit of a zoo out there with boats and tour groups, but really really cool vertical reef structures with a huge variety of fish

Best mellow place to snorkle/walk/picnic/nap, all with easy shade access is in Puako (just a few miles N of Waikaloa).
I'll DM you the address where the turn off is. Great beach path to the south and a wide semi-shallow snorkle area with lots to explore. Entrance is a little technical, but not hard (swell depending)

Have fun!

IMG_1228.PNG

IMG_1229.PNG

Reactions: ocean7847