Cheap Traction Pads

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I've seen them on the inter webs for $15 and under. Are they OK? Worthless? Any experiences, good or bad?
The Chinese slave children that make them imbed toe fungus in there. Also the sticky glue that adheres them to your board is made from the ground up cartilage of unwanted aborted Chinese female fetuses.

Worth every penny.

Reactions: oeste858

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
They are fine - as long as you are ok with the ground up cartilage of unwanted aborted Chinese female fetuses

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Symple made a normal looking flat pad that was amazing but it was on sale cause apparently it didn't sell. Wish I would have bought several. They switched to fancy courdoroy crap that is horrible. Morans make no cents!

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
don't buy a sympl, they have a design flaw that if they do come unstuck, the "S" is a separate piece and will get lost, so you cant glue the pad back down because there's a big chunk of it missing.

otherwise i think the cheap pads use the same glue and materials. I stopped buying them after that experience though.

Mar 7, 2018
i went the cheap ebay pad route about 10 or so years ago. shape was fine, grip was fine, but that pad abraded the shite out of my knees. i had to tear it off because i was developing an ulcer. but dont listen to me. i went full deck grip a couple of years back, and then thought f-it. now all my boards are wax only. if in doubt, just put wax on your board. lets be honest, if you are on this forum you aren't about to crack the tour. wax only wont hinder your performance (unless you have a deck grip sponsor).

Reactions: Chocki

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I've bought some cheapo's from the bargain bin at surf shops before and ended up ripping them up for asinine reasons like nubs being too soft, too hard, something not right. Not all of them use 3m tape, for example, but a lot do.

there can be a weird feeling underfoot if its not the grip you expect, even OG astro deck had its own expected feeling, and trunks folks say it rips up their knees.

I find a happy medium chasing down pads I know i like on clearance, stocking up 1 or 2 when the sales happen. I try not to pay more than $30 for a pad. doesn't seem like you ever actually have to pay full price in surf industry so long as you have patience for end-of-year old colorway clearance sales.

Reactions: Aruka

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I've seen them on the inter webs for $15 and under. Are they OK? Worthless? Any experiences, good or bad?
I pretty much use the Ho Stevie pads exclusively nowadays. Feel exactly like the old Xtrak/Freak pads, which were my favorite. Adhesion as good, if not better than the "premium" brands.

Usually around $25 shipped, sometimes the uglier prints go on sale for under $20.

Reactions: Aruka and Sauce

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I pretty much use the Ho Stevie pads exclusively nowadays. Feel exactly like the old Xtrak/Freak pads, which were my favorite. Adhesion as good, if not better than the "premium" brands.

Usually around $25 shipped, sometimes the uglier prints go on sale for under $20.
Agreed, they're exactly the same as freaks / xtraks. You can still get Freaks , better colorways options, but they're like 45-50$. My knees can only tolerate the steves/freaks/ and corduroy pads nowadays

Reactions: hackeysaky