SOLD - 5’4 Mandala Microlight Superchunk Keel

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
It does look like the smaller sizes are working better for you. Manny generally recommends sizing up but does it not work as good?
Well, for the most part, I dont have the luxury to ride good waves with power like you west coasters have on the regular. I ride east coast, lower period beach break and jetty waves. If I was in SD my boards would likely be shorter...

A few years ago I was most happy riding on the smaller side of things. But I'm getting older so the boards are getting longer.

Or maybe Im just more clearly listening to Manny's clarion call...

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
It does look like the smaller sizes are working better for you. Manny generally recommends sizing up but does it not work as good?
it's really personal preference. I think Manny leans toward more foam up front than I prefer. So I notice the swingweight on the heavier constructions. I went up from 5'6 Biax to 5'8 DA and it feels fine.

Reactions: KyleTalbott

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
5'4 is a little bigger than what I normally ride but I do prefer having more volume. Does the twin fin make it more accessible at longer sizes?
to me the ASQ tail takes more surface area out of the tail compared to the SC. So in my head, it wanted a better, punchier wave, whereas the SC has more lift in softer, mushier waves IMO. Could also think of a deep swallow tail almost as two pintails with only one engaged with the wave face at most points during a ride. That's what I've been told about classic SD TKF swallowtails by a couple shapers. So, that's my thinking but it's possible I'm completely wrong. LOL

Reactions: RattimusBeach

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
to me the ASQ tail takes more surface area out of the tail compared to the SC. So in my head, it wanted a better, punchier wave, whereas the SC has more lift in softer, mushier waves IMO. Could also think of a deep swallow tail almost as two pintails with only one engaged with the wave face at most points during a ride. That's what I've been told about classic SD TKF swallowtails by a couple shapers. So, that's my thinking but it's possible I'm completely wrong. LOL
That makes sense. Do you think a twin asq at 5'4 will work for better socal days? My superchunk twin is 5'2. I have a 5'4 Carbon Super Stubbie 2+1 as well that I use for smaller days and going backside. I need something that's a bit more performance.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That makes sense. Do you think a twin asq at 5'4 will work for better socal days? My superchunk twin is 5'2. I have a 5'4 Carbon Super Stubbie 2+1 as well that I use for smaller days and going backside. I need something that's a bit more performance.
I think it could be real fun. Like I said, you can always play with different twinfins to get the right balance

Reactions: RattimusBeach