SOLD - 5’4 Mandala Microlight Superchunk Keel

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
5’4 x 22 x 2-5/8”

EPS with carbon wrap by Dark Arts
FCS boxes. “Hooker T” keels included

It a super fun, but amply more maneuverable version of a mini Simmons. You can hit the lip and gouge massive bottom turns on this chubby platter. Stable and playful.

One rail ding that is just in the top coat and is water tight (got hit by a marble table top… this construction is ROCK SOLID)

Located in Flatbush, Brooklyn, on the way to the beach.

Hit me up @ 718-809-1029 to make your spring and summer everything you want it to be…

IMG_0086.jpegIMG_0088.jpegIMG_0090.jpegIMG_0087.jpegIMG_0128.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018
these were done prior to Justin starting DA. Quality is just as good or even better in some cases.
Agreed..
FWIW, I've got a 5'4" ASQ twin in microlight and I think it might be the best board I've ever surfed. From knee to head it does everything and does it well. I like my plasmic too but only had room for one so I let the plasmic go. YMMV

Attachments

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
Agreed..
FWIW, I've got a 5'4" ASQ twin in microlight and I think it might be the best board I've ever surfed. From knee to head it does everything and does it well. I like my plasmic too but only had room for one so I let the plasmic go. YMMV
That is a good looking board.

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
Everything these dudes wrote is true.

I updated the rocker shot because the other one was distorted.

also updated the price.

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
PXL_20230710_235308268.jpgPXL_20230710_235237713.jpgPXL_20230710_235253740.jpg

I have a Biax Superchunk Twin that's 5'2. Unfortunately it developed a bit of delam where the rails start tapering down. Not sure if others had the same issue with their biaxs. I just patched it up and it still goes insane.

Reactions: bvendley

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
View attachment 175123View attachment 175124View attachment 175125

I have a Biax Superchunk Twin that's 5'2. Unfortunately it developed a bit of delam where the rails start tapering down. Not sure if others had the same issue with their biaxs. I just patched it up and it still goes insane.
I have Mr Steve's 5'6 biax SC quad. Loved that boar but too small for me now. Can't quite bring myself to sell it yet. Replaced with DA delta-v SC twin. That slot channel works really well too. Adds just enough hold through turns

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I have Mr Steve's 5'6 biax SC quad. Loved that boar but too small for me now. Can't quite bring myself to sell it yet. Replaced with DA delta-v SC twin. That slot channel works really well too. Adds just enough hold through turns
Do you think an ASQ Twin or Oracle Delta V twin is more versatile for everyday surf? I have a super stubbie and the biax twin as my daily drivers.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Do you think an ASQ Twin or Oracle Delta V twin is more versatile for everyday surf? I have a super stubbie and the biax twin as my daily drivers.
Manny really likes the delta -V channel and I think it works great. Had an ASQ a few years ago. I got the feeling the ASQ wanted better surf so I prefer the SC for typical SD waves since it's a real mush-buster. I had a 6'0 delta V oracle for a few months and didn't click with it. Seemed like too much foam up front and a bit stiff compared to the fish and twins I usually ride. YMMV

Reactions: RattimusBeach

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Manny really likes the delta -V channel and I think it works great. Had an ASQ a few years ago. I got the feeling the ASQ wanted better surf so I prefer the SC for typical SD waves since it's a real mush-buster. I had a 6'0 delta V oracle for a few months and didn't click with it. Seemed like too much foam up front and a bit stiff compared to the fish and twins I usually ride. YMMV
Do you think an ASQ twin would work better in everyday stuff compared to the quad? There's one for sale in SD - 5'4 that looks interesting.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Do you think an ASQ twin would work better in everyday stuff compared to the quad? There's one for sale in SD - 5'4 that looks interesting.
Yeah, maybe. It looks linteresting. If it had the slot channel, I wouldn’t hesitate. The placement of the boxes makes such a difference on twins, but you could always just change the fins bigger / rakier if you needed more hold/ drive.
my ASQ always felt oversized and heavily-glassed (PU) and I feel like his ASQ/SC work best lighter and sized as small as you can.
Also, you may like the delta-V oracle more than me. Again, it was glassed heavy (PU). I’d probably have liked the 6’0 more as a longer mid like 6’6. It felt like an in-betweeener that couldn’t do what I wanted at that length.

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
AGREED on the Delta V. Totally works. I had a DV Fish that was killer. Will likely get another some day...

I've had-

5 ASAQ's (all quads)
5'5 Microlight (that was freaking amazing)
5'8 Poly w/resin tint (felt too big like @oeste858 wrote)
5'8 Microlight V weave (boardanomics made me sell it)
6'0 Microlight with exit channels (current board. thought it would be a boat but in carbon its lively and surfs itself)
6'8 Microlight (a little too chattery although I would buy it back...)

5 SC's
5'4 - Microlight. pupuchunk keel. The item at hand. Small wave shredder. Best small wave board besides Sean's Manta
5'6 - Poly. 5 boxes. The OG that started it all (barrel monster)
5'6.5 - Quad. Microlight with exit channels (boardanomics made me sell it) I would buy it back!
5'7 - Biax. Quad. Too much rocker. Overlapped other boards
5'9 - Poly. 5 boxers. Narrow. Fun cane wave board

2 Oracles
6'2 - DV twin. didn't like it. Wanted to.
6'5 - 2 +1. Wonderfully foiled. Loved a good wave with a shoulder. Wanted more curve in the outline.
I'm personally done with that outline. People in California like that shape. I like his California Stubbie outline better. Works better in our beach breaks.

Got a 6'3 EPS Super Stubbie Twinzer on order. Tapered stringer. Future proofed the dims at 21.5" x 2.75". Will be fun. Middle aged fun. Summer fun. Lots of neoprene fun.

Last edited:

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Yeah, maybe. It looks linteresting. If it had the slot channel, I wouldn’t hesitate. The placement of the boxes makes such a difference on twins, but you could always just change the fins bigger / rakier if you needed more hold/ drive.
my ASQ always felt oversized and heavily-glassed (PU) and I feel like his ASQ/SC work best lighter and sized as small as you can.
Also, you may like the delta-V oracle more than me. Again, it was glassed heavy (PU). I’d probably have liked the 6’0 more as a longer mid like 6’6. It felt like an in-betweeener that couldn’t do what I wanted at that length.
5'4 is a little bigger than what I normally ride but I do prefer having more volume. Does the twin fin make it more accessible at longer sizes?

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
AGREED on the Delta V. Totally works. I had a DV Fish that was killer. Will likely get another some day...

I've had-

5 ASAQ's (all quads)
5'5 Microlight (that was freaking amazing)
5'8 Poly w/resin tint (felt too big like @oeste858 wrote)
5'8 Microlight V weave (boardanomics made me sell it)
6'0 Microlight with exit channels (current board. thought it would be a boat but in carbon its lively and surfs itself)
6'8 Microlight (a little too chattery although I would buy it back...)

5 SC's
5'4 - Microlight. pupuchunk keel. The item at hand. Small wave shredder. Best small wave board besides Sean's Manta
5'6 - Poly. 5 boxes. The OG that started it all (barrel monster)
5'6.5 - Quad. Microlight with exit channels (boardanomics made me sell it) I would buy it back!
5'7 - Biax. Quad. Too much rocker. Overlapped other boards
5'9 - Poly. 5 boxers. Narrow. Fun cane wave board

2 Oracles
6'2 - DV twin. didn't like it. Wanted to.
6'5 - 2 +1. Wonderfully foiled. Loved a good wave with a shoulder. Wanted more curve in the outline.
I'm personally done with that outline. People in California like that shape. I like his California Stubbie outline better. Works better in our beach breaks.

Got a 6'3 EPS Super Stubbie Twinzer on order. Tapered stringer. Future proofed the dims at 21.5" x 2.75". Will be fun. Middle aged fun. Summer fun. Lots of neoprene fun.
It does look like the smaller sizes are working better for you. Manny generally recommends sizing up but does it not work as good?