How do you go about selling a unique shotgun?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Back story: my father in law was a world champion of skeet, trap and assorted sport shooting (doves back then, thrown by gypsies who would pluck certain tail feathers to make them fly in corkscrew patterns, it was another time, when animal cruelty and the environment mattered little to most) variations. He was somewhat of a celebrity amongst the international shooting circuit. Turns out he had a pretty unique Krieghoff 12gauge shotgun for competition, my sister in law is trying to sell now.

Here's the gun

Attachments

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Look for a shooting website. I am sure that there are many, some probably specializing in collectible weapons.

Reactions: vanrysss

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
My mother has a .410 gauge Charles Daly side by side that she gave my father for his birthday in the early 60's. It was old then. It's a work of art - the fine engraving. There's a flower that pops out when you break down the action - so cool, just great to look at.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'm not an expert but that looks to be a truly exceptional gun. I'm willing to bet that its worth between $12,000 and $20,000 to the right buyer. The question is, how do you find THAT BUYER. If that had belonged to my father or grandfather, there is no way I would part with it no matter the dollar value. That is an incredible heirloom.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Where is the gun located?

If the gun is in the states, you can use Gunbroker.

I'm guessing the gun is in Spain, so I'd recommend taking the "very careful" route so nobody goes to prison. Which means using an auction house might be your safest and easiest route. At least get a free value estimate:

Holt's

Sotheby's

Maybe check out Gunbroker just for a rough idea of how much they're selling for at online auctions that are direct seller/buyer.

Then email Krieghoff Germany and ask about dealers. Then I would seek out an antique firearms dealer in Spain, show them what you have, and ask about how they would go about it.

Also, I looked up to see if anyone was still shooting live pigeons in Spain and sho 'nuff there's this place. So if you don't get anywhere with the previous steps, I would shoot an email here and ask what they could recommend when it comes to dealers to contact:

Maybe even contact the shooting club where he was a member.

Good luck, as stated previously you are probably looking at a nice sum.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
If the shotgun is in the USA and over 50 yrs old, that makes it C&R (Curio and Relic) eligible, which makes easier to sell. Friend of mine who worked at Butterfields had to have a C & R license to handle the old stuff that was brought in whenever some rich toff took the final dirt nap. Seller doesn't need to have one, just the buyer. Takes a lot of paperwork out of the picture and removes the commission people in the middle. Would likely need to confirm their license with the BATF for peace of mind/legal reasons.

Reactions: PJ and Chocki

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
$30-50 k USD in scroll/engraving work over the base k80 (or k20) price.

I’d take the serial numbers of the interwebs and call kreighoff. They’re super friendly to work with to understand what you have. You have a very nice firearm.

or come visit any of us in the nj/nj/pa area. North America sales are in ottsville pa.

Reactions: Chocki