Surfing and cigarettes

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Same from age 16-42.
Got held under, caught inside a few times last week. No way I was doing that another year if I didn't quit. Still scarier than it should be because of all those years being desperate for air. PTSD-like, must remember to chill it'll be okay?

Reactions: Boneroni

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Never smoked, but I did use flavored seltzer to wean myself off soda years ago. Eventually I just started drinking just tap water. It's nice not having to shop/stock up on anything to drink other than having a few cases of emergency H2O. I do have a snacking habit though. #snacklife

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I started using tobacco products in 77' when I was about 11 years old. All of my friends were experimenting with cigarettes and chew at the time. I didn't really smoke that much but damn, I was into chew. That buzz was incredible! Once I got past the point of nausea, it became an obsession. In high school I was smart enough to never use the stuff around my girlfriends. Poon was way more important to me at the time. :bowdown: I joined the Army when I was 18 and really dove into the deep end with both. After the first year, I would wake up, light up and then hit the head. I'd have another after P.T., on the way back to the barracks, then another after my shower. Then a couple more after chow followed by dip througout the day when we were in places that we couldn't smoke. The motor pool most, especially since none of us had any desire to blow ourselves up. Three years later I met my wife and she didn't smoke at all. It was great motivation for me stop, which I did. On the other hand, I was so addicted to nicotine that I continued to dip and hide it from her. Eventually she found out and lost her ever loving mind. The embarassment was enough for me quit but damn that was a painful time.

I still have nightmares about Copenhagen being stuck in my mouth and I can't wash out. Sometimes it'd be this huge plug all the way around my lower lip and it'd be so compacted that no matter how much I scooped out, it would just re-appear and be even worse. I swear those nightmares are what kept me from ever going back to it. It's been decades since I've smoked or used snuff but those dreams still pop up every now and then. I guess it's my subconcience preventing me from repeating the same old stupid actions.

About 20 years ago my uncle died from smoke related COPD. His lungs crystalized and he died a terrible death. The thing is, he didn't smoke. My aunt was a chain smoker that only smoked in the kitchen but it was enough to affect him. It's an effective reminder when it happens so close to home. :cry:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Dad smoked his entire life. Oat Cell cancer took him. While he was going through chemo, he would go to the garage and smoke. The habit was like heroin to him. Still miss the old warrior.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Never smoked, but I did use flavored seltzer to wean myself off soda years ago. Eventually I just started drinking just tap water. It's nice not having to shop/stock up on anything to drink other than having a few cases of emergency H2O. I do have a snacking habit though. #snacklife
I try to snack on fruit and unsalted nuts.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I think tap water is just as bad as smoking. You ever go the EWG and look at the tap water database. Put in your zip code and see how bad it is.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I think tap water is just as bad as smoking. You ever go the EWG and look at the tap water database. Put in your zip code and see how bad it is.
The treatment plant near me has a reverse osmosis system. My employer also has a RO dispenser and several delivery style water coolers. I drink most of my daily water there. Hopefully that's safer. Also living in a hurricane prone area I keep several cases of bottled water on hand. If it goes unused, in November I drink the water that I purchased in May and it already has a plastic taste to it. I figure that's not good either. :shrug: I really don't know what is best.

Reactions: manbearpig

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The treatment plant near me has a reverse osmosis system. My employer also has a RO dispenser and several delivery style water coolers. I drink most of my daily water there. Hopefully that's safer. Also living in a hurricane prone area I keep several cases of bottled water on hand. If it goes unused, in November I drink the water that I purchased in May and it already has a plastic taste to it. I figure that's not good either. :shrug: I really don't know what is best.
We drink tap water filtered with a Brita and then Sodastream it (sometimes). Good as Perrier.

Oh and there was a drinking fountain at Sequoia National Park that had the best tasting water ever. We'd go every time we were there and fill a bunch of bottles to take home. Then last year we get there and it was gone. :cry: I asked a ranger and he said they moved it. Tried it but the water did not taste good.

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
One time in Italy one of us went outside to smoke. This guy moved away from where people were congregating so as to not bother them. All of the Italians ridiculed him for this.
Kind of interesting what the norm is in different cultures around the world