Murphy to increase NJ gasoline tax and create new EV annual fee.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
looks like the electric car owners will be paying more than their ICE counterparts. You must be psyched!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
gas taxes are going to go away and mileage taxes will take their place

a flat fee for EV is bullshit...grandma drives 2,000 miles a year, uber guy drives 20,000 miles a year, but they pay the same flat rate.

it should definitely be use-based

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
looks like the electric car owners will be paying more than their ICE counterparts. You must be psyched!
Well, for any given size of car EVs are way heavier causing more damage to roads. Ostensibly these taxes go to road maintenance so it’s “fair”.

Also, study shows EVs pollute more than cars because they’re heavier, causing tires and breaks to wear out faster, emitting rubber and break pad particulates at massive rates.

Tail pipe emissions are “filtered” (mitigated by smog control devices). Tire and break pad particulates are not….

New tire tech can help this….

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Well, for any given size of car EVs are way heavier causing more damage to roads. Ostensibly these taxes go to road maintenance so it’s “fair”.

Also, study shows EVs pollute more than cars because they’re heavier, causing tires and breaks to wear out faster, emitting rubber and break pad particulates at massive rates.

Tail pipe emissions are “filtered” (mitigated by smog control devices). Tire and break pad particulates are not….

I must say the Electric Car roll out has been bumpy due to both Govt and Corporate idiocy,

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019

My primary goal is to get a laugh out of Gromsdad. A seemingly impossible task.

re: the actual taxes, I don’t personally get worked up about things like this. And I won’t argue with you on unmarketed impacts of electric vehicles.

but for specifity’s sake and my own curiosity, here’s the math.

gas tax increase: 1.9 cents per gallon
Average gallons used/year: 700 or so
Cost for ICE car owners: $14
chance to rule up Gromsdad: priceless

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

re: the actual taxes, I don’t personally get worked up about things like this. And I won’t argue with you on unmarketed impacts of electric vehicles.

You've got this all so backwards here. I exist to get left wingers on here riled up. Just look what I've reduced poor old Mundus to.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
A government GPS tracking device in every car.
I had an automobile insurance policy that used this because, ostensibly, it would have saved me money given my low annual mileage

in the end it didn't really save me much at all and I did not like having a transponder in my car

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Totally bro.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Now add up the increased cost of trucking which increases the cost of everything trucked.

And so on….

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
He’s gotta figure out the revenue to pay for all this liberal malarkey.

keep spending like it’s Monopoly money.

im from the government and im here to help.

Reactions: GromsDad

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Now add up the increased cost of trucking which increases the cost of everything trucked.

And so on….
I don’t think it’ll have any impact on consumer goods. Its a very small amount and it’s just Jersey. Not entirety of USA. Generally speaking fuel prices are down from where they were too.

But I get the idea, tax hikes aren’t good for the bottom line at any size.