Christenson Shaping Studio/Showroom Opening 3/2

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I wonder what's prompting the change. If Moonlight is staying in the old location does that mean Manny/Furrow are staying too or are they out on the streets? Feels like he's going more of the mainstream route w/ putting volume on boards, keeping stock around etc.

Reactions: sdsrfr

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah-tech bro has $$ to buy a business
Wouldn't you say?

@silentbutdeadly - you keep posting podcasts with glassers talking about how problematic of a business it is.

Isn't running a glass shop basically a nonstop struggle where heads barely stay above water? Tech bro wants Cal OSHA breathing down his neck and all the other BS that comes along with the biz. Buying other people's problems in a dying industry.?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Not sure. I think we’re hearing
Wouldn't you say?

@silentbutdeadly - you keep posting podcasts with glassers talking about how problematic of a business it is.

Isn't running a glass shop basically a nonstop struggle where heads barely stay above water? Tech bro wants Cal OSHA breathing down his neck and all the other BS that comes along with the biz. Buying other people's problems in a dying industry.?
It's a successful glass shop so I don't think that's the case. I don't think running a shop complying with the rules is that difficult. In Grubby's podcast I think there was more to the story that we know. I'm not saying it wasn't difficult for him but I am a little suspicious about parts of his take on regulatory compliance.

Reactions: Fishyhb and Woke AF

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I do know the guy works there full time. He is not an absentee owner. He left the tech world to run moonlight. Supposedly the systems and processes are Improved now.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

It's a successful glass shop so I don't think that's the case. I don't think running a shop complying with the rules is that difficult. In Grubby's podcast I think there was more to the story that we know. I'm not saying it wasn't difficult for him but I am a little suspicious about parts of his take on regulatory compliance.
Grubby said “fuck you“ to an agency. Literally. I have worked with the guy he said it too. Didn’t listen to grubby’s podcast but I can assure you that there is way more to the story. It take a lot for that agency to come in and shut you down. I work with them on an almost daily basis.

You pretty much have to try to get them to do what they did to Clark Foam. The amount of ducks the agency has to line up to take such an action is off the charts.

Trust me on this. I fucking hate that agency but in the case of Clark Foam they had little choice but to do what they did.

And the surf world is infinitely better off as a result.

Not to mention all the illegal aliens working for Clark under basically slave labor conditions.

Yes, complying with California‘s regulatory maze is huge pain in the ass. So much so that I make a damn good living off of helping businesses stay in compliance with just small little niche of said regulations. The individual people at these companies that I deal with are full time compliance managers.

Think about that. I guy or gal works full time keeping their employer in compliance with regulations and part of their job is to hire me, whose full time job is to keep companies in compliance with some of those regulations.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

He was a pioneer in the field. In that era, there was a lot of doing things the way you thought was best. AKA nobody tells me how to do my job. I grew-up with a lot of those types who were my fathers buddies. Always sketchy and often SOB's.
Straight shooters though, no problem telling you to go fck yourself right to your face.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Grubby was blowing foam, not glassing boards.

Like Duffy said, dealing with CA regulations and running a glass shop is notoriously a huge, costly pain in the ass.

It has always been the achilles heel of the surfboard manufacturing biz.

There are plenty of former glass shop owners in the surf industry who got the hell out because they couldn't handle the BS. Compliance issues are one of the main things that will drive the industry to either leave the state or call it quits.

There are a few guys running them under the radar. No idea what the penalty getting caught for that is.