Norther Lights

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Northern Lights are pretty cool, unfortunately, I've only seen them twice flying out of Anchorage on the red-eye at 30K feet from the window of the plane.
Still, pretty spectacular(y)

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
saw the lights quite a few times in the 2 years I lived in Alaska

mostly they were like vague glowing green curtains waving slowly in the most gentle breeze. sometimes so ephemeral they were barely visible. but always mesmerizing

then one winter morning I was waking up at 330 am to go run my bread route and cracked the blinds to look outside and holy sh!t the whole sky was just pulsating with the lights. all the colors just blooming and racing around like mad. i grabbed my gf and we ran outside barefoot in our underwear in the subzero temps and stood there gobsmacked for I don't know how long. words can't describe it. pictures and videos are just a tease. we live in a magical universe for sure.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
As a kid my parents and my aunt and uncle had a cabin in the north woods of Wisconsin. My Uncle was a pilot and an amateur astronomer so he knew when to stay up and star watch. We would sit out on the dock laying down watching shooting stars during the Perseid shower every summer. One night the northern lights joined in. I will never forget it, it was awesome.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Back in the '80s I was up in Scotland visiting a friend, we were staggering back from the pub when the sky started going crazy. We were staying in a caravan on the beach with 360 degree views so we just lay on the sand watching the show. Totally magical immersive experience and way better than I anticipated.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Went to Fairbanks about 10 years ago to see aurora borealis.

Was able to rent a cabin near some hot springs. Which was important for daytime highs of:

First two nights were super lovely. With the moon up, had to speed up the shutter, which muted the colors a bit (image should expand if you click it):

Then the 3rd night, lucked into a CME and met someone with better camera who emailed these two shots. It was like being an ant looking straight up into a descending stage curtain that was being gently affected by movement of air; parts were more in focus than other parts, all depending on what your eye focused upon, further lending the effect a 3D look stretching into the heavens.

Of course, Sweetie-pie in the hot springs was pretty nice as well:

Anyway, best time to see the aurora is during the equinoxes, and in this case, the term 'best' just means "more likely to see the aurora".

Last edited: